1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

pharmacy work overseas

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by nampa1, May 6, 2008.

1. nampa1

Removed 5+ Year Member

Is there any way to work in pharmacy overseas? Whether this be by practicing pharmacy or working an office job with a pharmacuetical etc.? It seems that the military almost exclusively posts pharmacists in country and staffs most overseas bases with techs.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. collegegirl247

collegegirl247 Accepted Pharmacy Student
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I wonder the same thing I want to live in Europe eventually

4. firefighter9015

firefighter9015 It's not THAT kind of study hour...
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I do medical mission work in a clinic in Santo Domingo, Ecuador every summer and work as the pharmacist.

5. mattc_85

mattc_85 Call me Jeffrey
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I don't know if I ever asked you this but how does that work? How do students work as pharmacists?

6. nampa1

Removed 5+ Year Member

im also interested in this. i had a medical friend that did research like this, but i have no idea how to go about it.
    what about a pharmaceutical company? They must have people that have to travel around.

7. pharm1982

pharm1982 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    is this through a certain company? if so, what? also, do you get compensated? thanks.

8. firefighter9015

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Since there are no pharmacy liscensing boards in the country, anyone can practice as a pharmacist. The native pharmacist that work there are nothing more than what we would think of as clerks. You tell them what you want and they get it off of the shelves. So in the clinic that I work in, it is a huge improvement from what normally happens. A doctor actually writes the script and the pharmacist (or students as the case usually is) fills it and doubles checks and counsels and all of the stuff that we typically do.

No, I do not get compensated for this. I go with a non-profit organization called Shoulder-to-Shoulder Ecuador that is a local group. We are now taking two trips every summer and they are trying to make a November trip a common thing also. We also have a 4th year student who is there on roatation right now and we are also hoping to make that a every year thing.

9. medicalCPA

medicalCPA Actually, it's medicalCPA, PhD now
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Sounds really interesting. You go to U of Kentucky, right? Is this available only to students at UK?

10. firefighter9015

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    The group that I go with is open to many people, but priority is given to
    those from UK.
    There is an organization known as the Timmy Foundation which does medical mission work in many latin american countries. You could check and see if your school has a chapter or if you would like to start one (I am not sure if they are accepting new chapters yet but I know that before our chapter was started a few people was able to go down to Ecuador with a different group.)
    There is also another organization known as Nourish International that does mission work, but I have not been involved with them so I don't have any information.

If you want more detailed info, feel free to PM me!

11. collegegirl247

collegegirl247 Accepted Pharmacy Student
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    good for you...that is awesome!!!