• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

Smilez4me

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2003
NY
Status (Visible)
Hi all,

I have currently pursing a B.S. degree (a junior right now) and I have just decided recently that I want a career in Pharmacy. I just have 1 more summer to apply, and I want to get the most Pharmacy working experiences as possible.

Please tell me what you would recommend... Should I work at a hospital or a retail store? Any advice is welcome.

Also, if I want to work at a nearby Drug store, what positions can I apply for (ie: can I actually work as a pharmacy technician even though I am still a college undergrade)?

Thank you so much! :)

Sukie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
Los Angeles
Status (Visible)
From personal experience, I know that pharmacy positions are not easy to come by as an undergraduate. It took me a year of active searching to land one. It may depend on the area you live in. Retail positions are probably easier to obtain than hospital positions. Go to the store(s) that you are interested in, ask to speak with the pharmacy manager, and apply for a pharmacy clerk position. You need a license to work as a pharmacy technician, which you can get with a fee from the Board of Pharmacy if you have your B.S. degree in science. I got mine last year and have yet to use it. Most places do not hire technicians without any pharmacy experience. If money is not an issue, try volunteering at a pharmacy. The experience is what is most valuable, paid or not. If all else fails, volunteer at a local hospital to gain some health care experience.

Smilez4me

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2003
NY
Status (Visible)
Thank you so much Sukie! I was just wondering...

will I have a severe disadvantage if I apply to Pharm D. school without ANY pharmacy experiences?

Thank you again! :)

About the Ads

BIGA121781

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2003
Status (Visible)
If you want to be a tech, it depends on the state that you live in. I live in Ohio and I was hired with absolutely 0 experience didn't have to be certified.

spacecowgirl

in the bee-loud glade
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2004
Innisfree
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I had both a BA and 6+ years of retail experience. I think that was a huge advantage for me not only for admissions but also in my classwork thus far. I now work in a hospital and of the two, I think retail better prepares you for pharmacy school in general. I learned a lot more about pharmacy as a practice, pharmacology and just what it takes to be a pharmacist through my tech experience in retail. At least at the hospital I work at now, a tech is really just a tech. We don't do any work that requires real knowledge beyond some calculations in the IV room. I had much more responsibility and learned more as a retail tech.

Of course the downside of retail, is well, working with the general public which can, at times, be a real pain in the behind :D

I think about 25% of my class had a prior degree and about 75% had prior experience.

BTW - hi Kim!!!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.