Pharmacy working experiences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smilez4me

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have currently pursing a B.S. degree (a junior right now) and I have just decided recently that I want a career in Pharmacy. I just have 1 more summer to apply, and I want to get the most Pharmacy working experiences as possible.

Please tell me what you would recommend... Should I work at a hospital or a retail store? Any advice is welcome.

Also, if I want to work at a nearby Drug store, what positions can I apply for (ie: can I actually work as a pharmacy technician even though I am still a college undergrade)?

Thank you so much! :)

Members don't see this ad.

From personal experience, I know that pharmacy positions are not easy to come by as an undergraduate. It took me a year of active searching to land one. It may depend on the area you live in. Retail positions are probably easier to obtain than hospital positions. Go to the store(s) that you are interested in, ask to speak with the pharmacy manager, and apply for a pharmacy clerk position. You need a license to work as a pharmacy technician, which you can get with a fee from the Board of Pharmacy if you have your B.S. degree in science. I got mine last year and have yet to use it. Most places do not hire technicians without any pharmacy experience. If money is not an issue, try volunteering at a pharmacy. The experience is what is most valuable, paid or not. If all else fails, volunteer at a local hospital to gain some health care experience.

Thank you so much Sukie! I was just wondering...

will I have a severe disadvantage if I apply to Pharm D. school without ANY pharmacy experiences?

Thank you again! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to be a tech, it depends on the state that you live in. I live in Ohio and I was hired with absolutely 0 experience didn't have to be certified.

IMO-getting a retail job would prepare you best for the first years of pharmacy school. More experience with every common drugs-not just ones on the hospital formulary. I do wish that I had worked in a hospital in order to get the sterile product experience.

I had both a BA and 6+ years of retail experience. I think that was a huge advantage for me not only for admissions but also in my classwork thus far. I now work in a hospital and of the two, I think retail better prepares you for pharmacy school in general. I learned a lot more about pharmacy as a practice, pharmacology and just what it takes to be a pharmacist through my tech experience in retail. At least at the hospital I work at now, a tech is really just a tech. We don't do any work that requires real knowledge beyond some calculations in the IV room. I had much more responsibility and learned more as a retail tech.

Of course the downside of retail, is well, working with the general public which can, at times, be a real pain in the behind :D

I think about 25% of my class had a prior degree and about 75% had prior experience.

BTW - hi Kim!!!