Pharmacytimes: Ways Pharmacy Schools Could Increase Applicant Pools

Started by sunakuma
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In his article, I quote: "The increasing cost of higher education, uncertain job market, and financial burden of long-term student loans have caused many millennials to think long and hard about attending pharmacy school, leading to a decrease in admission numbers. The number of pharmacy schools has increased substantially during the past 15 years, jumping from 70 or 80 pharmacy schools to more than 150 today. It’s curious that this decrease in enrollment would happen at the same time as the increase in the number of pharmacy programs."

How is increasing school and reducing demand of hiring pharmacist not a reasonable cause to reduce in enrollment to school? How can this be "curious"? School is greedy, chain stop expanding, market is saturated, why still trying to encourage more student to go to pharmacy school?

And he said: "Currently, the American Association of the Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) is working on a public relations campaign to increase student and public awareness of the profession."

Really? I don't think to increase student and public awareness of pharmacy is the same as encouraging more people to go to this field in an over saturated market. And this guy has completed a PGY1 training?
 
How much do these people get paid to write articles for Pharmacy Times? Always wondered. I've seen a lot of bad articles from them, this one is top 3 for sure.

Lol @ selling an ebook on mastering the PCAT essay portion... mind blown. The least important part of the exam, it's a filler at best.
 
How much do these people get paid to write articles for Pharmacy Times? Always wondered.

If they pay anything, it is a better paying gig than writing for SDN!🙄

People generally don't write to get rich. A new textbook just got published in which I had authored a chapter, and I received my royalties check last week. My pay rate for those efforts came in at a little less than $3.00 per hour.
 
If they pay anything, it is a better paying gig than writing for SDN!🙄

People generally don't write to get rich. A new textbook just got published in which I had authored a chapter, and I received my royalties check last week. My pay rate for those efforts came in at a little less than $3.00 per hour.

Sorry to hear they didn't make it worth you while. A professor of ours also authored a chapter in a pharmacotherapy textbook recently... told us that he would never be doing that again.
 
It's like he acknowledges the problem but suggests solutions that don't address it... There are simply too many schools now and a declining job market. I think to recognize that and then still push propaganda on social media to get people to apply is dishonest.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't know the guy who played McLovin was a pharmacist!
Watch out, this guy has a dojo...
alexheader.png


Plus he has a series of videos on youtube he christens 'pharmacy residency bootcamps' Its good for a laugh before the novelty wears off.

hqdefault.jpg
mqdefault.jpg

And his fashion sense is a war crime. Talk about repelling any self-respecting woman (or man).

With friends like these, who needs enemies.
 
Last edited:
Watch out, this guy has a dojo...
View attachment 209571

Plus he has a series of videos on youtube he christens 'pharmacy residency bootcamps' Its good for a laugh before the novelty wears off.

View attachment 209572View attachment 209573
And his fashion sense is war crime. Talk about repelling any self-respecting woman (or man).

With friends like these, who needs enemies.

Does he have any videos about oncology? Because I'm pretty sure I have cancer after watching the residency bootcamp videos.
 
The article is pure garbage, but that's no reason to attack the dudes image/look.

Exhibit A of just how judgmental of a profession I've jumped into.
 
Alex Barker said:
I wished there was a website with info from a pharmacist when I was a pharmacy student. I knew there was a large forum with a lot of info, but I found many negative members there. I had the idea to start a website back in 2012 when I started my residency. I worked with students quite often and found myself giving the same advice multiple times. So, to make it easier for students and myself, and to help even more students, I created the website with one goal : to help future PharmDs.

http://www.thehonestapothecary.com/2015/01/21/introducing-alex-barker-pharmacy-school-hq/

Leave Alex alone!
 
I just browse the website a bit, and I find this article/ advertisement:

http://www.thehonestapothecary.com/2016/10/03/the-ultimate-pharmacy-staffing-agency-list/

They charge money by providing pharmacy staffing agency's list....

"While we finish up creating this resource, I am offering this download at a special PRE-LAUNCH BARGAIN PRICE! It will be initially offered at a price of$49.95. For a job-seeking resource that is likely to save the average pharmacist dozens of hours of time, it is well-worth this modest price. A couple years of collecting information and much more than 10 times that price was spent putting this document together."
 
The article is pure garbage, but that's no reason to attack the dudes image/look.

Exhibit A of just how judgmental of a profession I've jumped into.
Jeeeeeesus, I hope you're not talking about the pics I googled off the net. Nothing against the man(?) personally, but he dresses like an awkward teenager.

And another B*tchy comment from UofK. I saw your comment in another thread about how pharmacists are judgemental. All I have to ask is: have you ever worked a day in your life? Because your comments on this forum site seem to indicate otherwise.

You can work in software, engineering, and retail, and you will still be faced with the same kind of cut-throat office politics and backstabbing that you seem to think only exists in the field of pharmacy.

And its obvious you've never really interacted with the other professions (and no, rounding with the doctors on interprofessional teams doesn't count because they don't give a shiny **** about interprofessional teams). If you knew how judgmental the doctors and nurses can be, you'd be glad you were a member of the pharmacy profession.
 
My thoughts exactly.

I never meant my post to be a catalyst for attacking this man(?) Alex Barker. I just wanted to mock his goofy dress-style (NOT his physical appearance) and his awful consulting business ("Leadership Dojo") that he runs on the side.

If you want to enter into one of the most judgemental professions where everyone is constantly comparing themselves to those around them, **** is being talked behind everyone's backs, you have to put your social media on lockdown, the people around you are the peers/friends you will have to have fun around despite their judgemental nature because you will be dedicating all of your time during pharmacy school around them...by all means go for it.

All of my previous high school classmates, although probably making 1/2-1/3 of my salary, seem much more happier and content with their place in life.
But since you did bring up judgement as a cardinal sin of the pharmacy profession I will try to convince you otherwise using Mr. Barker's appearance as an example. Based on my experience in the hospital, his awkward appearance is going to get him a target for trash-talking by the other healthcare professionals...
  • MD/DOs - they will pretend to listen to his recommendations and they may even take him along as a member of some interprofessional team. But behind closed doors, they will mock the **** out of him relentlessly. They went through 7+ years of hell, and a pharmacists with a high-schooler's wardrobe (and with a lesser "doctorate" degree) is telling them how to practice medicine. Every mistake or slip-up he makes is going to be an occasion for the physicians to bring up his awful fashion sense.
  • Surgeons - They get a special mention because they will trash everyone and anyone in the open. A "Doctor of Pharmacy" with the worst wardrobe on the planet is going to be a target of mockery in the OR, physician's dining area and even in the hallways.
  • CRNAs - they will mock him along with the GPs they mock. CRNAs are proud of the fact that they possess a Masters-level degree and are able to make more than a family physician or a pediatrician. At every hospital I've worked, CRNAs have treated pharmacists as lesser beings on the medical totem pole. Mr. Barker's PharmD "doctorate" is just icing on the cake when they bring him up as that pharmacist who dresses like a teenager.
  • RNs - Being a profession in which 90% of its members are female, he is going to be endlessly mocked. They are going to mock Mr. Barker for his dress style. I've seen nurses mock a physician's attempt to court a certain nurse because he was shorter than her. Also, nurses are under a lot of stress, so if he does get on their bad side... they are gonna use his looks as a vent for their frustration.
So, UofK, are pharmacists really this bad?

PS. I have nothing against Alex Barker, he may be an alright guy... but the healthcare field can be a scary, unforgiving place if you aren't vigilant enough.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Jeeeeeesus, I hope you're not talking about the pics I googled off the net. Nothing against the man(?) personally, but he dresses like an awkward teenager.

And another B*tchy comment from UofK. I saw your comment in another thread about how pharmacists are judgemental. All I have to ask is: have you ever worked a day in your life? Because your comments on this forum site seem to indicate otherwise.

You can work in software, engineering, and retail, and you will still be faced with the same kind of cut-throat office politics and backstabbing that you seem to think only exists in the field of pharmacy.

And its obvious you've never really interacted with the other professions (and no, rounding with the doctors on interprofessional teams doesn't count because they don't give a shiny **** about interprofessional teams). If you knew how judgmental the doctors and nurses can be, you'd be glad you were a member of the pharmacy profession.

Bitchy? How old are you? Pretty sure you epitomize that term.

I actually worked 3 jobs in pharmacy school (retail, critical access hospital, academic medical center) which usualy included 3-4 weekends per month and multiple weekdays per week. Even as a resident I moonlight. What do you do?

And as for the bolded (leaving out your uninteresting interpretation of how other professions feel about us), is that something you read on the internet, or do you have actual real world experience? I'd suggest you focus on getting your PharmD, or find an exit strategy from this profession based on the tone of YOUR posts. Now carry on with your doom and gloom posts. It's a friday night, don't over drink knowing you hate the career you chose tonight.
 
I never meant my post to be a catalyst for attacking this man(?) Alex Barker. I just wanted to mock his goofy dress-style (NOT his physical appearance) and his awful consulting business ("Leadership Dojo") that he runs on the side.


But since you did bring up judgement as a cardinal sin of the pharmacy profession I will try to convince you otherwise using Mr. Barker's appearance as an example. Based on my experience in the hospital, his awkward appearance is going to get him a target for trash-talking by the other healthcare professionals..

PS. I have nothing against Alex Barker, he may be an alright guy... but the healthcare field can be a scary, unforgiving place if you aren't vigilant enough.

I'm getting stalker vibes from you. Have to go digging into other threads to insert my posts? Little creepy.

There are plenty of ugly, ridiculously unstylish people that work in hospital pharmacy departments that have fantastic careers. They aren't insecure about their appearance and likely give zero f*s about how other people view them. Care to plaster your pictures all of this site and let us "judge" you? Your post is exhibit B of what I described in another thread, so thanks for that.

Not planning on derailing this thread anymore, carry on...
 
Last edited:
For all the self-help "advice" he espouses, Iron Mountain is widely considered the worst assignment possible in VISN 12 (and that's saying something with Tomah in the Region). Surprised he didn't try use his 10% skills on himself to get to Jesse Brown or at least Madison...

With an attitude like that, he has a future career in tanking VA clinical programs...or maybe he'll be the next SES inductee, VA loves training people like him into sociopathic front office staff. I'm sure his portrait will haunt Central Office soon enough.
 
Since when does the PCAT have an essay? I took it only 5ish years ago and don't remember that.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Since when does the PCAT have an essay? I took it only 5ish years ago and don't remember that.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

From my experience in late 2012: It has two brief essay portions actually, 20 or 30minutes to write about some random topic. I believe they score it 1-5 or 1-6, and I don't recall hearing anyone ever making over 3 or 4 when asked about their score on it.
 
Since when does the PCAT have an essay? I took it only 5ish years ago and don't remember that.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I had an essay portion in 2008. I scored very high on that and the language/reading comprehension part. I did very poorly on the chemistry section, which is funny because I was a chemistry major and was one of the top students in most classes. I think I was a natural arts and language guy but forced myself into the sciences because being a scientist sounds cool.
 
I'm getting stalker vibes from you. Have to go digging into other threads to insert my posts? Little creepy.

There are plenty of ugly, ridiculously unstylish people that work in hospital pharmacy departments that have fantastic careers. They aren't insecure about their appearance and likely give zero f*s about how other people view them. Care to plaster your pictures all of this site and let us "judge" you? Your post is exhibit B of what I described in another thread, so thanks for that.

Not planning on derailing this thread anymore, carry on...
Did you read my posts????
I was cracking jokes on how he was dressed, Einstein. I wasn't calling him an ugly person, I said he dressed poorly. Can you not read and interpret English?
 
Bitchy? How old are you? Pretty sure you epitomize that term.

I actually worked 3 jobs in pharmacy school (retail, critical access hospital, academic medical center) which usualy included 3-4 weekends per month and multiple weekdays per week. Even as a resident I moonlight. What do you do?

And as for the bolded (leaving out your uninteresting interpretation of how other professions feel about us), is that something you read on the internet, or do you have actual real world experience? I'd suggest you focus on getting your PharmD, or find an exit strategy from this profession based on the tone of YOUR posts. Now carry on with your doom and gloom posts. It's a friday night, don't over drink knowing you hate the career you chose tonight.
LOL. I didn't think you were insecure enough to make such a post, but I was wrong.

I couldn't care less about your life story, but since you seem like the kind of individual who has to compare himself to others to get satisfaction. I would like you to know that I work 20 hours a week. I work both in the retail and hospital pharmacy settings. I also work every Saturday and Sunday of every weekend of the month. No weekends off. Both of those days are eight-hour shifts. Are you happy now? Have I met your criteria for what a pharmacy student should be?

If you spend so much time in the healthcare setting, I find it hard that you don't interact with the other healthcare professionals. I regularly talk with the nurses, lab techs, patient aides, security personnel, and even the doctors. You must have the personality of a wallflower and the charisma of wet cardboard to not even interact with your coworkers. You should try it out once. No once forces you to be a mute. You can learn a lot by talking with the other healthcare professionals.

I take great pride when it comes to working in the pharmacy. But I'll call BS when I see it. A lot of the "clinical" pharmacy stuff they spout at the schools is just that. But the pharmacists I work with are phenomenal. I've never ever felt that they were ever judgemental or cutthroat. Even if they work as staff pharmacists or retail pharmacists, they fill an important healthcare role. It is always a team effort to get work done.

You must really work in a sh#tty workplace if you have pharmacists who spend their time trying to outdo or cut each other down. Or maybe you're just projecting your own negative attitude and behaviors unto others. And if you indeed worked a lot during school, I find it hard that no one would offer you a job upon graduation...

I assume UofK means either University of Kentucky or Kansas. Neither of these states suffer from the saturation problem that is rampant on the coasts. I know people in both states who attended their state universities and were able to land FTE hospital jobs (staffing and clinical) upon graduation. The fact that you did a residency seems to indicate that you were never offered a job or you were too "high-and-mighty" to accept such a job offer. You're better off casting that negative or competitive attitude if you want to be happy in pharmacy. Medicine is the field to go to if you want to compete with others.

You come across as a nasty person. I wouldn't want to work with you.

PS. I'm starting to think this Alex Barker guy isn't too bad. At least he doesn't come across as a tool. I'd work with him over you any day.
 
Alex Barker, PharmD is back again! NOW he wants to help burned out pharmacists (while also making some money). This guy went from telling pharmacy schools how to increase enrollment to "I will be hosting a master class every month to help burned out pharmacists".

Golden Handcuffs Shackle Pharmacists to High-Paying Jobs

HAHA...this was on his website:

webinar-testimony.jpg

Membership to that master class would rank as one of the most hilarious troll gifts!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As funny as most find this (me included) I bet you the SOPs take this seriously. When direct entry, lies about job opportunities, and manipulating peoples good will for helping people fails these guys will be hurting. If they are pharmacists and their schools cut staff, I would like to see them work at a major chain. They would be shredded like no tomorrow. Buried in work with no hope of recovery.