Pharmapreneuers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesL1585

TheAntiSavior?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Anyone engaging in pharmacy entrepreneurship? Or Pharmacist that are entrepreneurs (with businesses outside of the pharmacy landscape)? I’m really interested to hear pharmacist that are doing entrepreneurial things (especially if its unique to most pharmacist, i.e. not an independent pharmacy, although I have an immense amount of respect for these folks as well). Would love to hear about things you’re doing!

I’m opening up a hookah bar with some partners, but, also working with a technology startup thats working on the opioid epidemic!

Members don't see this ad.

Curious, do you still believe you did nothing wrong?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey folks,

Anyone engaging in pharmacy entrepreneurship? Or Pharmacist that are entrepreneurs (with businesses outside of the pharmacy landscape)? I’m really interested to hear pharmacist that are doing entrepreneurial things (especially if its unique to most pharmacist, i.e. not an independent pharmacy, although I have an immense amount of respect for these folks as well). Would love to hear about things you’re doing!

I’m opening up a hookah bar with some partners, but, also working with a technology startup thats working on the opioid epidemic!

You guys should make a website that allows pharmacists and doctors to see where patients have been filling controlled RXs!

What am I missing?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I think OP got fired from one of the popular chains because he thought he was better than he actually is.

Reactions: 1 user
What am I missing?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Have you ever known someone who is perpetually claiming to be right around the corner from greatness, despite staying in the same place year after year?

I.e.
A musician who is always saying that they are going to sign with a record label, but always plays the same Wednesday night set at the bar.
A guy who always knows a guy that is making millions doing what he's doing.

That's what's going on

I hear that you can make a lot of money in the cannabiz. You should try it. The biz I mean. I'm certain Sparda would join you in that venture.

Hey folks,

I have been thinking about starting my own for profit pharmacy school. I'm a long ways away though.

I do like the term "pharmapreneuers" though. Catchy.

Sorry I don't have more to contribute. My guess is that the vast majority of us here are relatively traditional pharmacists and thus you probably won't get very many responses to your query, but it will be interesting if you do!

On the negative side, I presume you know what happened to the most 'pharmaprenuerial" among us?

Nope, what?

I do like the term "pharmapreneuers" though. Catchy.

Sorry I don't have more to contribute. My guess is that the vast majority of us here are relatively traditional pharmacists and thus you probably won't get very many responses to your query, but it will be interesting if you do!

On the negative side, I presume you know what happened to the most 'pharmaprenuerial" among us?

@msweph Ah, have you ever heard of a hater? Someone who’s just sad, and miserable (probably complacent), and wants everyone to be like them? That’s what’s going on. lol comments below to prove it.

Also @CetiAlphaFive, I think since we last spoke I was invited to Hacking Medicine, [(sure you have 0 idea what that is, but it’s the same organization that PillPack (if you even know what that is) was founded through)] recently funded by a top 5 university, and got the okay to launch our service in a large state. People like me have 0 to prove to folks like you... because why? I'll send the bill for me responding to your ignorance, because it’s expensive. You stop lying about me, and I’ll stop telling the truth about you.

Have you ever known someone who is perpetually claiming to be right around the corner from greatness, despite staying in the same place year after year?

I.e.
A musician who is always saying that they are going to sign with a record label, but always plays the same Wednesday night set at the bar.
A guy who always knows a guy that is making millions doing what he's doing.

That's what's going on

Arrested for committing fraud. :(
I assume you are referring to the gentlemen that billed Tricare over 30,000,000 USD for bogus creams in a massive kickback scheme in Florida?

I wonder if he like always planned to commit fraud or if it started out legit and wasn't making enough money and turned criminal or like if he was making money and just got greedy.

Members don't see this ad :)
@msweph Ah, have you ever heard of a hater? Someone who’s just sad, and miserable (probably complacent), and wants everyone to be like them? That’s what’s going on. lol comments below to prove it.

Also @CetiAlphaFive, I think since we last spoke I was invited to Hacking Medicine, [(sure you have 0 idea what that is, but it’s the same organization that PillPack (if you even know what that is) was founded through)] recently funded by a top 5 university, and got the okay to launch our service in a large state. People like me have 0 to prove to folks like you... because why? I'll send the bill for me responding to your ignorance, because it’s expensive. You stop lying about me, and I’ll stop telling the truth about you.

There's that I'm better then everyone attitude I've been missing.

Good to see you haven't changed.

Arrested for committing fraud. :(

IS this an SDN person?

Sucks to hear that either way! Also, I think with the Amazon thing, pharmacist should consider becoming more entrepreneurial, considering how weak of a profession we have as far as keeping ownership of our expertise. No one’s safe any more, and it’s almost as if we have 0 control... far from the case (organizing, and lobbying is tremendously important), but that’s what it seems, and unfortunately I think it only gets worse from here.

There's that I'm better then everyone attitude I've been missing.

Good to see you haven't changed.

No, just better than you and @CetiAlphaFive... you literally came here to start trouble. Kiss my pass to you as well. Your bill is coming in the mail as well.

I'm happy for you James.

If you won a whole $1,000 from a hackathon, that's very impressive and I, for one, am very supportive.

That's also super neat that you got a big time university to fund a pre-existing, for-profit company.
I didn't realize universities engaged funding startups, or that they participated in any way as investors/venture capitalists.
What kind of return are they expecting on their investment?

Why do you need equity from a university if you guys have a government contract?
I'd assume traditional investors would be beating down your door for the chance to lend you money.

Again, I am super impressed by these huge accomplishments.

Last edited:
I'm happy for you James.

If you won a whole $1,000 from a hackathon, that's very impressive and I, for one, am very supportive.

That's also super neat that you got a big time university to fund a pre-existing, for-profit company.
I didn't realize universities engaged funding startups, or that they participated in any way as investors/venture capitalists.

Why do you need equity from a university if you guys have a government contract?
I'd assume traditional investors would be beating down your door for the chance to lend you money.

If you knew how ignorant you are about how this works, you’d be quite embarrassed. But it’s okay, I’m embarrassed for you. Not adding much value to pharmapreneurs, so not sure why you’re still here. Except to harass people? Good luck to you (and your friend) pal.

If you knew how ignorant you are about how this works, you’d be quite embarrassed. But it’s okay, I’m embarrassed for you. Not adding much value to pharmapreneurs, so not sure why you’re still here. Except to harass people? Good luck to you (and your friend) pal.
I'm trying to be supportive.

You're right: I'm embarrassed that I didn't know that Top 5 universities provided or even had that kind of money to be investing in startups.

It sounds like you guys are making history!

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm happy for you James.

yeah I agree with james why are you being so negative? starting a business is hard, any accomplishments should be celebrated. I know a couple of really smart guys that are doing their own start ups and they are constantly trying to get investors and such, also learning from their mistakes...

what are you contributing by talking down on someone that's trying to better himself... does it make you feel better about yourself?

@msweph I think since we last spoke I was invited to Hacking Medicine, [(sure you have 0 idea what that is, but it’s the same organization that PillPack (if you even know what that is) was founded through)]

Good to hear a pharmacist is doing something innovative. How did you get invited to Hacking Medicine? What is the process like?

yeah I agree with james why are you being so negative? starting a business is hard, any accomplishments should be celebrated. I know a couple of really smart guys that are doing their own start ups and they are constantly trying to get investors and such, also learning from their mistakes...what are you contributing by talking down on someone that's trying to better himself... does it make you feel better about yourself?
What are you talking about?

Good to hear a pharmacist is doing something innovative. How did you get invited to Hacking Medicine? What is the process like?

Hey BM,

For the invite, Honestly I can’t remember because I applied back in January. And I looked and they took the application stuff down so I can’t be so sure. I think a video, CV, and maybe talk about a startup you’ve been involved in? This sounds familiar, it’s a competitive process for sure though.

For the actual Hackathon, there’s “the idea guy”, and then an entire team (where if you’re that idea guy you’d need to sell an audience on your idea, and then anyone interested, typically the technologists) helps you bring your idea to life in one weekend. At the end of the long weekend of hard work there’s a pitch, and if you win you get funded. The main goal to the weekend, is to solve a problem in healthcare, big or small.

I worked with a team of 2 MIT Software developers and a “gamification” expert. We literally worked about 18-20 hours each day for 3 days. Was a cool event, and some super smart people. At the time, we thought we had a decent idea, however there was no path to profitability. However, funny enough just yesterday the gamification guy cold called me after more than 3 months, asking if I was interested in moving the idea forward (saying he’d raise money and he’s been meeting with other people to bring this to life), so cool things can happen. It’s a great process, with some very smart and motivated people. “Pill Pack” is said no less 1000 times a day during the Hackathon, lol They’re definitely an MIT fan favorite now.

One team made a functional robotic surgical tool in one weekend. Like I said, tons of talent.

Last edited:
Hey BM,

For the invite, Honestly I can’t remember because I applied back in January. And I looked and they took the application stuff down so I can’t be so sure. I think a video, CV, and maybe talk about a startup you’ve been involved in? This sounds familiar, it’s a competitive process for sure though.

For the actual Hackathon, there’s “the idea guy”, and then an entire team (where if you’re that idea guy you’d need to sell an audience on your idea, and then anyone interested, typically the technologists) helps you bring your idea to life in one weekend. At the end of the long weekend of hard work there’s a pitch, and if you win you get funded. The main goal to the weekend, is to solve a problem in healthcare, big or small.

I worked with a team of 2 MIT Software developers and a “gamification” expert. We literally worked about 18-20 hours each day for 3 days. Was a cool event, and some super smart people. At the time, we thought we had a decent idea, however there was no path to profitability. However, funny enough just yesterday the gamification guy cold called me after more than 3 months, asking if I was interested in moving the idea forward (saying he’d raise money and he’s been meeting with other people to bring this to life), so cool things can happen. It’s a great process, with some very smart and motivated people. “Pill Pack” is said no less 1000 times a day during the Hackathon, lol They’re definitely an MIT fan favorite now.

One team made a functional robotic surgical tool in one weekend. Like I said, tons of talent.

Good stuff! If you present your idea to an audience...what is going to stop someone from stealing your idea?

Good stuff! If you present your idea to an audience...what is going to stop someone from stealing your idea?
Actually nothing, before FB, there was Friendster and Myspace. Apple, Samsung, 10 other cell phone companies. Idea is a dime a dozen. No one cares about an idea. It's how you execute it.

Hey BM,

I honestly don't have a dog in this fight, but my BS meter just went to 1000. You submitted an application only 6 months ago and you "can't remember" what you submitted? Lol. Kinda sounds like you're making this **** up.

Reactions: 1 users

I’ve presented in front of probably 1000 people since March (including to investors and business folks at Stanford, MIT, and University of Chicago) and no issues yet. What we’re trying to do is very difficult. Even if someone had the knowledge, they’d have to have the network, and resources to do it as well, which in my opinion is rare. We don’t even have all of that, but every (small) victory we get, we get more resources, and more organizations try to support so it’s kind of a good thing, the slow but steady approach. But to be honest, a well resourced company (typically only the big boys, CVS, WAGS, etc) could do what we’re trying to do easily, and that’s always the feedback we get. I won’t deny that, but for our longer term vision, we don’t believe any large company would want to enter our very niche but impactful space, thus it’s ripe for disruption.

@lane one same to you pal as the rest. Your life and mine look completely different. So, sorry that your narrow mindedness can keep you from understanding that some people have more going on than you and your 9-5 everyday, and don’t remember details that don’t necessarily matter.

FYI to anyone with negative comments from here on, rant but expect to be ignored, I don’t have time for that kind of nonsense anymore, you people both exhaust me and make me sad that we’re apart of the same profession.

Last edited:
Hey BM,

Wow!
Hackathons are funding people now!??

That's incredible, James.

Previously, they only awarded prizes of $100 to $1,000, depending on the size of the event.
Don't get me wrong, $1,000 must be pretty exciting for the undergrad students that make up the majority of participants university affiliated hackathons.

It sounds like you're in the big leagues tho.

Again, super impressed and happy for you.

IS this an SDN person?

Sucks to hear that either way! Also, I think with the Amazon thing, pharmacist should consider becoming more entrepreneurial, considering how weak of a profession we have as far as keeping ownership of our expertise. No one’s safe any more, and it’s almost as if we have 0 control... far from the case (organizing, and lobbying is tremendously important), but that’s what it seems, and unfortunately I think it only gets worse from here.

Well depends on what you mean by SDN person. The guy posted on here a few years ago saying how he was starting his independent pharmacy with some people and listed the name of the pharmacy. Then he updated us with how successful his pharmacy was. Then we saw in the news sometime later how a pharmacy with the same name he posted was in being investigated by the FBI and he was arrested along with all the conspirators on serious felony charges in Florida.

I'm not even sure if i'm supposed to be talking about the whole event because I think the original thread was deleted for obvious reasons as soon as the mods realized the scope of the fraud and illegalness. You can PM me if you want more information.

Reactions: 2 users
LoL I think I’m okay. Thank you though. Funny thing is I heard about this indirectly, I was learning some stuff about how insurance works with independents a few months back, and a new pharmacy owner was being really obsessed on checking all the rules three times and being very diligent about making sure they were doing everything by the books, and then referenced something about pharmacies billing for creams that people didnt ask for (or something similar). Funny how good news travels fast.

Well depends on what you mean by SDN person. The guy posted on here a few years ago saying how he was starting his independent pharmacy with some people and listed the name of the pharmacy. Then he updated us with how successful his pharmacy was. Then we saw in the news sometime later how a pharmacy with the same name he posted was in being investigated by the FBI and he was arrested along with all the conspirators on serious felony charges in Florida.

I'm not even sure if i'm supposed to be talking about the whole event because I think the original thread was deleted for obvious reasons as soon as the mods realized the scope of the fraud and illegalness. You can PM me if you want more information.

LoL I think I’m okay. Thank you though. Funny thing is I heard about this indirectly, I was learning some stuff about how insurance works with independents a few months back, and a new pharmacy owner was being really obsessed on checking all the rules three times and being very diligent about making sure they were doing everything by the books, and then referenced something about pharmacies billing for creams that people didnt ask for (or something similar). Funny how good news travels fast.

It's actually nothing like that. Here is a link if you are interested in what really happened: Pharmacist Sentenced in $30 Million Tricare Fraud - Lexology

Reactions: 1 users
I'm rooting for you, but I hope you're not like this in person. Just brush it off your shoulders, no need to punch back.

Way back in the early SDN days, we'd post Bunchie in threads that were going nowhere. Times were simpler then.

tenor.gif

Reactions: 2 users

@lane one same to you pal as the rest. Your life and mine look completely different. So, sorry that your narrow mindedness can keep you from understanding that some people have more going on than you and your 9-5 everyday, and don’t remember details that don’t necessarily matter.

Haha wow. I think I struck a nerve. Look, you clearly have some haters here but I’m not one of them. I merely questioned your recall of details and you handled it rather poorly. I know you said you were going to ignore any negative feedback, but I’m pretty sure you’ll read this. Here’s some advice for future success:

1. Don’t make assumptions about people that you know nothing about. It makes you seem pompous. I’m not sure how you concluded that I’m “narrow minded” or have a “9-5”. Why would you assume you have more going for you than anyone else on this forum?
2. Attacking people who disagree with you is a good way to alienate yourself.
3. If you reject all feedback that you deem “negative”, you’ll never grow from your failures.

Since you attacked me personally, I’ll add that you sound like an idiot. But I’m not going to make assumptions and label you as such, pal.

I can't see this guy getting anywhere in life if he keeps up this same attitude.

lol the hypocrisy in this thread is unbelievable