***Official 2010-2011 PharmCAS Questions Thread***

Started by rxrina
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question pertaining to this. I asked 2 professors to write me a LOR. One confirmed that she would (but hasn't started the PharmCAS thing) and the other one never responded when I wrote him an email asking if he would write me one (I believe he's out of the country). Would it be possible to add him onto pharmcas AFTER I e-submit? I don't want to be presumptuous and send in his info when he hasn't confirmed that he'd write me one. Also, he's a biology professor; the other LOR is from an English teacher, which is why I wanted to stall. Should I be totally rude and obnoxious and send in his info anyway, even if that means possibly burning bridges? If so, can I erase him from pharmcas after I e-submit if he says no?

FYI I also have 2 already written from pharmacists and I want to e-submit by today cause I want avoid the pharmcas bottleneck that's probably already building up! Thanks everyone!

P.S. thanks musicman for replying to my earlier post!

You should be able to add/delete him just as long as he did not send in an LOR for you. From what I read on PharmCAS you can add recommenders and delete them just as long as they didn't complete a LOR for you. Plus PharmCAS will not hold your app until the LORs are received. Once received (assuming they already sent in your app), they will forward the LOR to your designated schools. I would not add him on there until he gives you the OK. It's better if he writes one for you but just wait until you get a hold of him and he says he would do it for you.

What's the deal with Pharmacy schools with pre-candidate or candidate accreditation? is it safe to attend those universities? Can you actually get licensed afterwards and find a job?
hate throw good money on a garbage degree.


I don't really see the problem with attending a program that has at least candidate accreditation. If it's a reputable school you should be ok. I would stay away from pre-candidate schools unless your stats are not very competitive. The school becomes fully accredited after it graduates it's inaugural class and they sit the boards.
 
So it's the end of the month and my applications still haven't been sent out by PharmCAS yet... Has anyone's app been sent out?


I am sure no apps have been sent out yet. As long as they are postmarked by 08/01/10 then you should be good (that is the date the first batch gets sent out).


If I haven't submitted my PharmCAS application, but I accidentally submitted my supplemental application while filling out. Will they still process it? Or will they wait until they receive my PharmCAS application and then process at the same time?

**I'm doomed**

Your application is not complete until both your PharmCAS and supplemental apps are received. I am sure the school will hold on to it but it might help if you contact AdCom and let them know.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have submited my applications through pharmcas.....What do I do next? it says that it wont be process until they recieve my transcrpt from school. Where do I send this transcript and I just completed a summer class, and recieved an A. However, it wont show up on my transcript until the grade is officially entered at my institute. What do i do to proceed?
 
I have submited my applications through pharmcas.....What do I do next? it says that it wont be process until they recieve my transcrpt from school. Where do I send this transcript and I just completed a summer class, and recieved an A. However, it wont show up on my transcript until the grade is officially entered at my institute. What do i do to proceed?

In your PharmCAS (transcript section I believe), you have to print out the transcript request form for each school. Send that form to each school, along with your transcripts, to mail to PharmCAS.
 
You can have your institution process the transcript request when the grade is inputted. Just take them the form and when you feel out your transcript request, there should be an option to release the transcripts after summer grades are posted. I like to do all my stuff in person because I don't trust the secretaries, the mail room, or the fax machine 🙂 but, however you want to do it is up to you 🙂
 
You can have your institution process the transcript request when the grade is inputted. Just take them the form and when you feel out your transcript request, there should be an option to release the transcripts after summer grades are posted. I like to do all my stuff in person because I don't trust the secretaries, the mail room, or the fax machine 🙂 but, however you want to do it is up to you 🙂

I lol'ed there, haha. Just teasing..

I'm with you there about not trusting the registrar sometimes with the transcript mail. I had to call one of my schools twice about including a Spring quarter grade.
 
You can have your institution process the transcript request when the grade is inputted. Just take them the form and when you fill out your transcript request, there should be an option to release the transcripts after summer grades are posted. I like to do all my stuff in person because I don't trust the secretaries, the mail room, or the fax machine 🙂 but, however you want to do it is up to you 🙂

Just a typo. Fixed.🙂
 
can you still edit recommenders after sending your app out?


You should be able to add/delete him just as long as he did not send in an LOR for you. From what I read on PharmCAS you can add recommenders and delete them just as long as they didn't complete a LOR for you. Plus PharmCAS will not hold your app until the LORs are received.

🙄

Or how about them PharmCAS instructions manual?
 
delano, I was just telling the other guy that you had JUST answered that same question literally a few posts up AND that the information is also in the manual. 😳

Oh I believe that the PharmCAS GPA includes all post-secondary courses every taken.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if PharmCAS wants their applicants to send a "photocopy" of the PTCB certificate or the "actual" one received from PTCB? Thanks. 😎
 
Does anyone know if PharmCAS wants their applicants to send a "photocopy" of the PTCB certificate or the "actual" one received from PTCB? Thanks. 😎



I don't ever remember seeing where PharmCAS requested this info. You should not have anything to mail to PharmCAS directly unless they personally asked you to. Everything is done via internet. They may ask if you are certified but won't ask you for a copy of it. When doing your supplemental apps, the schools will more than likely require that you send that directly to them.
 
I don't ever remember seeing where PharmCAS requested this info. You should not have anything to mail to PharmCAS directly unless they personally asked you to. Everything is done via internet. They may ask if you are certified but won't ask you for a copy of it. When doing your supplemental apps, the schools will more than likely require that you send that directly to them.


Yeah, I did fill out my PTCE certification under "Professional Licenses and Certification" in PharmCAS. I guess it is sufficient to fill that out without the need to send them a copy.

Thanks.
 
Im taking pcat in august..i dont really understand pharmcas? Am i already supposed to be submitting things? This is my first time taking pcat and i still have 3 classes of pre-reqs to go. I dont know what to do. Help!
 
Yeah, I did fill out my PTCE certification under "Professional Licenses and Certification" in PharmCAS. I guess it is sufficient to fill that out without the need to send them a copy.

Thanks.


There you go.👍

Im taking pcat in august..i dont really understand pharmcas? Am i already supposed to be submitting things? This is my first time taking pcat and i still have 3 classes of pre-reqs to go. I dont know what to do. Help!


Submit what you have done in terms of coursework. Don't wait until the last possible minute to start working on your application. The whole process can be very time consuming. Writing your personal statement will take some time as well especially if you need it to be proofread. It may take some time to get LORs together and to get them submitted in a timely manner. My advice: Get started like yesterday.👍
 
Originally Posted by mandydp6
Just checked PharmCAS and applications have been mailed out!!! Congrats for all of us who made Tier 1...now we hope for that interview invite :xf::xf:
Can anyone explain this to me?
I have e-submitted to PharmCAS but mine shows not mailed to schools yet?
Why is this?
My application looks to be totally complete on PharmCAS.
How long between e-submitting and having them mail to schools?
I actually had one school send me an email that indicated that they had my PharmCAS?
Maybe they send it out electronically right away and snail mail takes a while, but yet the schools have the information?
If so, how important is the snail mail?

I thought that as long as my application was in before the June PCAT scores were available, it would be as early as possible.
Also can you explain the tier 1?
 
Originally Posted by mandydp6
Just checked PharmCAS and applications have been mailed out!!! Congrats for all of us who made Tier 1...now we hope for that interview invite :xf::xf:
Can anyone explain this to me?
I have e-submitted to PharmCAS but mine shows not mailed to schools yet?
Why is this?
My application looks to be totally complete on PharmCAS.
How long between e-submitting and having them mail to schools?
I actually had one school send me an email that indicated that they had my PharmCAS?
Maybe they send it out electronically right away and snail mail takes a while, but yet the schools have the information?
If so, how important is the snail mail?

I thought that as long as my application was in before the June PCAT scores were available, it would be as early as possible.
Also can you explain the tier 1?


Check out my post in the UoP thread.
 
I'm currently 25. My senior year of high school, I did this program that allowed me to get my CNA, should I include this on my certifications for PharmCAS? I thought I would get a part-time job at a nursing home or hospital in college, but ended up not using it at all during college. The certification is now expired and it was so long ago.
 
I'm currently 25. My senior year of high school, I did this program that allowed me to get my CNA, should I include this on my certifications for PharmCAS? I thought I would get a part-time job at a nursing home or hospital in college, but ended up not using it at all during college. The certification is now expired and it was so long ago.


I would only include current certifications, not expired ones.
 
Thanks so much for the advice. I will try to start not. Do I start hitting the submit button after each section? also this is the first time Im taking PCAT in August....I have 15 days left to continue studying. I keep taking Dr.Collins and Barrons test and I keep scoring the same thing over and over around 50% what can I do to improve that? should I restudy everything over and over....Also, I havent even looked at anaolgies. I work during the week and my schedule is crazy. Any advice plz?🙁😱
 
Thanks so much for the advice. I will try to start not. Do I start hitting the submit button after each section? also this is the first time Im taking PCAT in August....I have 15 days left to continue studying. I keep taking Dr.Collins and Barrons test and I keep scoring the same thing over and over around 50% what can I do to improve that? should I restudy everything over and over....Also, I havent even looked at anaolgies. I work during the week and my schedule is crazy. Any advice plz?🙁😱


You might want to post this question in the PCAT forum for adequate responses.
 
Okay so I had to dig up where I put my actual certificate just incase a school asks for proof of it.. but that then made me wonder, will schools also ask for proof of any type of work experience? Should I go find my w2 forms just incase too? 😕

Also, does TA-ing for a class count for anything? I didn't want to put it under work experience since I wasn't paid for it 🙁 But I did spend a lot of time making lab cultures and such for Microbio students.
 
Okay so I had to dig up where I put my actual certificate just incase a school asks for proof of it.. but that then made me wonder, will schools also ask for proof of any type of work experience? Should I go find my w2 forms just incase too? 😕

Also, does TA-ing for a class count for anything? I didn't want to put it under work experience since I wasn't paid for it 🙁 But I did spend a lot of time making lab cultures and such for Microbio students.

No, you do not need to submit proof of work experience or w2 forms. They can tell b/c they will most likely ask you about it during the interview or essays. I would include TA on your applications.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay so I had to dig up where I put my actual certificate just incase a school asks for proof of it.. but that then made me wonder, will schools also ask for proof of any type of work experience? Should I go find my w2 forms just incase too? 😕

Also, does TA-ing for a class count for anything? I didn't want to put it under work experience since I wasn't paid for it 🙁 But I did spend a lot of time making lab cultures and such for Microbio students.


Just to elaborate on what Musicman was saying. If you actually had a job, I am sure you would have to include that on your income tax returns and FAFSA. They could check that as well unless you were getting paid under the table.
 
Hm, well I haven't applied for FAFSA in forever but I suppose you're right. I just wanted to be prepared incase they do ask for w2 forms since I would have to go dig them up or start bothering my past employers.

I suppose the TAing would be best listed under extracurriculars then?

& thanks for the help guys! 🙂
 
Hm, well I haven't applied for FAFSA in forever but I suppose you're right. I just wanted to be prepared incase they do ask for w2 forms since I would have to go dig them up or start bothering my past employers.

I suppose the TAing would be best listed under extracurriculars then?

& thanks for the help guys! 🙂


No W2s would be necessary at least I can't see the relevance of walking into an interview with it. Rule of thumb, if you are getting paid for TAing then you put that under work experience, if you are doing it voluntarily then you list it under volunteering and if it's a club or after school kinda gig then I would say list it under EC.
 
How long does it take for PharmCAS to post up the status of reference if it is done electronically? I want to make sure before I email my professors to ask if they have taken care of it. Thanks..
 
No problem. Hey, everyone needs a break sometime.

I actually sent my request back in June, but I guess he didn't received it. So I have to resend it. 🙁 I thought I started early, but til' now, I haven't sent my pharmcas yet. Hopefully I'm not behind.
 
How long does it take for PharmCAS to post up the status of reference if it is done electronically? I want to make sure before I email my professors to ask if they have taken care of it. Thanks..

If you log in and check the status of the LOR's and it says "new", then they haven't even logged in to the system yet to start the process. If it says "in progress", then they have at least logged in to see what the system is about and are working on it. As soon as they hit the submit button, the status will say "complete" and give you the date it was submitted.

At any time you can resend the LOR request e-mail to them from PharmCAS.
 
If you log in and check the status of the LOR's and it says "new", then they haven't even logged in to the system yet to start the process. If it says "in progress", then they have at least logged in to see what the system is about and are working on it. As soon as they hit the submit button, the status will say "complete" and give you the date it was submitted.

At any time you can resend the LOR request e-mail to them from PharmCAS.

Thanks. It says "NEW" in the reference status. So I guess they haven't even logged in. 🙁
 
I actually sent my request back in June, but I guess he didn't received it. So I have to resend it. 🙁 I thought I started early, but til' now, I haven't sent my pharmcas yet. Hopefully I'm not behind.


You still haven't submitted the app yet? You don't have to wait on the LORs. PharmCAS will mail the app regardless and when the LORs become available, they will forward them to the schools.
 
You still haven't submitted the app yet? You don't have to wait on the LORs. PharmCAS will mail the app regardless and when the LORs become available, they will forward them to the schools.


I haven't submitted the app yet because I'm still trying to edit my personal statement. I didn't want to submit because what happen if I need to make correction to the reference? Would pharmcas allow me to do that?
 
I haven't submitted the app yet because I'm still trying to edit my personal statement. I didn't want to submit because what happen if I need to make correction to the reference? Would pharmcas allow me to do that?


OK good luck with the PS. You can always edit your LORs even after you submit your application. The only time you will be unable to edit is if PharmCAS already receives the recommender's reference.
 
OK good luck with the PS. You can always edit your LORs even after you submit your application. The only time you will be unable to edit is if PharmCAS already receives the recommender's reference.

Thanks for your help! 😀

P.S I just found out my professor is overwhelmed with so many references to write...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No problem. I guess you may need to find another recommender. How many LORs do you have already?

I actually asked 3 professors, but none of them have written anything yet. They said they would love to write one for me. I will wait until the end of August to ask them again. 😎
 
hey everyone I had a question regarding the transcripts on the application. I just finished taking my last prerequisite this semester, and of course I will include this is the pharmcas application. Now this fall semester I am thinking of taking some more classes but these are just all electives and none are prerequisites.

So my question is, do I need to include these fall classes in the pharmcas transcripts section to show that those fall classes will be taken, or can I just stop at this summer semester's course? Because I'm thinking if I include the ones from the fall that the application won't be complete until I complete those courses (plus the winter semester :O )
 
hey everyone I had a question regarding the transcripts on the application. I just finished taking my last prerequisite this semester, and of course I will include this is the pharmcas application. Now this fall semester I am thinking of taking some more classes but these are just all electives and none are prerequisites.

So my question is, do I need to include these fall classes in the pharmcas transcripts section to show that those fall classes will be taken, or can I just stop at this summer semester's course? Because I'm thinking if I include the ones from the fall that the application won't be complete until I complete those courses (plus the winter semester :O )

You need to still include the planned Fall courses. There will be an "open window" later on, starting in December (I believe), when you can change or add your classes you input.
 
Because I'm thinking if I include the ones from the fall that the application won't be complete until I complete those courses (plus the winter semester :O )

If that is true, many many many undergrads won't have a completed application before the app process is over.
 
I applied last year for fall 2010...didn't get in. I've retrieved my PharmCas app from last year. I wanted to know if I have to re-send transcripts from old schools. To clarify, I took a class at school 'A' when I was in high school in 2007. Last summer I took a class at school 'B.' I've never taken anything else at those schools, so there is no ''updated material'' needed. Is there a need to send those transcripts again?? I don't think there is, but I don't want to screw myself, either.

I understand I have to send my updated grades from school 'C' in which I attend full time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.