***Official 2010-2011 PharmCAS Questions Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blast!! The impression I am getting is that once most schools recieve your complete Pharmcas app they totally ignore academic update (your fall grades?) Should I call each school to confirm that they actually DO look at all grades??

Members don't see this ad.

How long did it take for PharmCAS to receive your mailed letters of rec? I know on the website it says 4-5 weeks, but I am just so stressed.

It took PharmCAS about 5 days to receive the LOR from my pharmacist. He sent it certified mail and made sure that someone would sign for it once they received it.

Blast!! The impression I am getting is that once most schools recieve your complete Pharmcas app they totally ignore academic update (your fall grades?) Should I call each school to confirm that they actually DO look at all grades??

They don't ignore it. The academic update window is going to be in the last half of December to Feb. 1 I believe. All acceptances are conditional so even though you may get accepted to a program, you still need to ensure that your grades are good. So, they will be looking at it after they get the grades from PharmCAS.

Depends on if you're applying to schools with rolling admissions. If you are, then I would submit right now anyways. I just got done with my music course last weekend, still doing psychology and just started OChem II yesterday. I submitted my app back at the end of June. On PharmCAS you should indicate all planned or in progress courses that way they will know that you are in/plan to be in the course and you should be receiving credit for that course.

In short, it depends on if you are applying to schools with rolling admissions or not. Better to get it done early though.

I realized I won't be able to take my PCAT until October anyway.... so it probably won't make a difference if I just wait until this class is done right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I registered for the August PCAT two weeks ago. I chose 3 school as score recipients. I did not know I can choose Pharmcas as a recipient. Can anybody please help me?

What is it that you need help with?

If the schools you are applying to participate in PharmCAS, then they will receive your PCAT score through PharmCAS. But you need to select PharmCAS as a recipient.

Can be confusing since they are listed on the Pearson site as well.

And if they don't participate in PharmCAS, you HAVE to select them separately on the Pearson site.

How can I pick pharmcas as a recipient. Even though I don't have the option to change my score recipient?

It has a code just like the schools do. It is in the school list when you register.

But since you sent your scores to a PharmCAS school, they will just be forwarded to PharmCAS for you.

If you've already submitted your initial registration, then you have to pay extra to add additional recipients. I was in the same boat and had to add PharmCAS a year later. I think it's like $20 to add another recipient.

Hey guys,

So I don't know about the rest of you but I was utterly confused about whether or not PharmCAS waits for your LORs to come in before it sends out your applications. I e-mailed PharmCAS directly and this is what they said:

"PharmCAS will process your application once you submit your completed application, required fee, and all official transcript(s). PharmCAS will then submit your application to each of your pharmacy designations whether or not your references have arrived to our facility. Once we receive your letters of reference and any additional information, we will then forward these items to your designations at a later date. For more information regarding the requirements of the letters of reference at each of your individual pharmacy designations, please contact them directly."

Hope that clears things up for some of you(it certainly did for me!). That being said, I called USC to ask if they would start reviewing my application before my LORs came in and they said they would wait for the letters to come in before review. :lame: So I guess it doesn't really matter. Nonetheless, I'm still gonna submit my PharmCAS as early as possible so it can be processed and sent out to schools. Maybe I'll be able to score some interviews based on GPA and other stuff alone. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

So I don't know about the rest of you but I was utterly confused about whether or not PharmCAS waits for your LORs to come in before it sends out your applications. I e-mailed PharmCAS directly and this is what they said:

"PharmCAS will process your application once you submit your completed application, required fee, and all official transcript(s). PharmCAS will then submit your application to each of your pharmacy designations whether or not your references have arrived to our facility. Once we receive your letters of reference and any additional information, we will then forward these items to your designations at a later date. For more information regarding the requirements of the letters of reference at each of your individual pharmacy designations, please contact them directly."

Hope that clears things up for some of you(it certainly did for me!). That being said, I called USC to ask if they would start reviewing my application before my LORs came in and they said they would wait for the letters to come in before review. :lame: So I guess it doesn't really matter. Nonetheless, I'm still gonna submit my PharmCAS as early as possible so it can be processed and sent out to schools. Maybe I'll be able to score some interviews based on GPA and other stuff alone. :p

Your application is not considered complete until all the necessary items are received. I doubt any school will look at the app if there are pertinent items still missing. Plus, the first batch of applications won't be sent out until the end of this month so there is still time for them to receive the LORs.

I just started my PharmCas application and a school that I took a few summer classes at is not listed, so I checked it's accreditation status and it's not accredited by the accreditation agencies accepted. And the instructions say
"If you attended an institution that is not recognized by one of these agencies, do NOT enter the

institution on your PharmCAS application and do NOT submit its transcript to PharmCAS.
Contact your designated pharmacy schools directly to determine if you must arrange for transcripts from
non-regionally accredited institutions to be sent directly to the pharmacy school"

But what does that mean exactly? It's not going to show that I took these required classes? How worried should I be because I'm freaking out

It means that you will probably need to take those courses again at an accredited institution.

I just started my PharmCas application and a school that I took a few summer classes at is not listed, so I checked it's accreditation status and it's not accredited by the accreditation agencies accepted. And the instructions say
"If you attended an institution that is not recognized by one of these agencies, do NOT enter the

institution on your PharmCAS application and do NOT submit its transcript to PharmCAS.
Contact your designated pharmacy schools directly to determine if you must arrange for transcripts from

non-regionally accredited institutions to be sent directly to the pharmacy school"

But what does that mean exactly? It's not going to show that I took these required classes? How worried should I be because I'm freaking out

You can talk to AdCom and explain the issue to them and they will tell you exactly what you need to do.

It means as far as PharmCAS is concerned, you never took those classes. For each individual school you apply to, you need to contact admissions and ask them if and how they want transcript(s) from those school(s).

Got a question of my own.

How should I list an activity that started out as an extracurricular that became a paid job (continuation of activities + more duties)? The average hours are quite different for one. Also, the Work Experience section doesn't allow you to designate it as relevant to pharmacy. I mean, technically they're different positions by title/responsibility but I don't want to "repeat" it.

Got a question of my own.

How should I list an activity that started out as an extracurricular that became a paid job (continuation of activities + more duties)? The average hours are quite different for one. Also, the Work Experience section doesn't allow you to designate it as relevant to pharmacy. I mean, technically they're different positions by title/responsibility but I don't want to "repeat" it.

I would list it under work experience. Maybe based on the descriptions then Adcom can infer the relevance to pharmacy.

I have a Question. My School has like 5 campus and i took all my math classes on one with the same teacher because he was good. All my classes are one transcript as its from the same school. Do i have to order 2 different transcript or just one.... I e-mailed Pharmcas and their reply was not good enough. Do i just enter all the classes under one campus ?

I'm all done with my application, now I'm in the process of proofreading. For those of you applying to pharm school that stay on campus during the year, did you use your campus address or home address?

I initially put my home address for current/permanent address, but I would like for any invoice from the schools to come to campus. I just don't know my address yet, so I wasn't sure if this could be changed later - or added on supplemental apps.

I have a Question. My School has like 5 campus and i took all my math classes on one with the same teacher because he was good. All my classes are one transcript as its from the same school. Do i have to order 2 different transcript or just one.... I e-mailed Pharmcas and their reply was not good enough. Do i just enter all the classes under one campus ?

If all of your classes are listed on one transcript, then why would you need to get 2 sent to PharmCAS?:confused:

I would list it under work experience. Maybe based on the descriptions then Adcom can infer the relevance to pharmacy.

Hmm.. but the average hours are so different.

Oh and on the transcript request form, there's a "Campus Attended" section that's required. What does that mean?? It can't get more specific than the Full Name of Institution.

Hmm.. but the average hours are so different.

Oh and on the transcript request form, there's a "Campus Attended" section that's required. What does that mean?? It can't get more specific than the Full Name of Institution.

What are the average hrs?

Some schools operate on more than one campuses. For example, my university has a main campus and a downtown campus. Since I go to the main campus then that's what I indicated.

What are the average hrs?

Some schools operate on more than one campuses. For example, my university has a main campus and a downtown campus. Since I go to the main campus then that's what I indicated.

Like 10 vs 40. I mean I feel like it should be listed separately with an end date for the EC section, but I'm concerned that it may be considered repeating.

So I should just repeat the institution name because I have to write something for that required field? Oh and is the text kind of messed up in the first paragraph with random spaces?

Like 10 vs 40. I mean I feel like it should be listed separately with an end date for the EC section, but I'm concerned that it may be considered repeating.

So I should just repeat the institution name because I have to write something for that required field? Oh and is the text kind of messed up in the first paragraph with random spaces?

I would consider it repeating unless there is a seperate title/position that you now have that is different from when it was only an EC activity. If you are currently working there and is being paid for the duties that you are performing, it would be best to list that as work experience. Out of curiousity, how long ago before it was a paying gig?

I would put "Main" there. Can't see how you could go wrong with that.

this probably has been asked, but
from what I read on the pharmcas website

1. they send your recommenders an email for a reference request
(so there will be an email address to email your LOR?)

+

2. the recommenders have to fill out a form of some sort?

I just wanted to make sure just in case my recommenders ask me

thanks!

this probably has been asked, but
from what I read on the pharmcas website

1. they send your recommenders an email for a reference request
(so there will be an email address to email your LOR?)

+

2. the recommenders have to fill out a form of some sort?

I just wanted to make sure just in case my recommenders ask me

thanks!

1. I believe the writer will submit it through the website. The email should provide adequate instructions.

2. There is a brief questionnaire. The questions are listed in the PharmCAS Application Instructions.

1. I believe the writer will submit it through the website. The email should provide adequate instructions.

2. There is a brief questionnaire. The questions are listed in the PharmCAS Application Instructions.

THey fill out the questionaire when they submit the letter on the website?
thanks!!

THey fill out the questionaire when they submit the letter on the website?
thanks!!

The questionnaire is the only required part of the recommendation. The actual letter is optional. To answer your question, yes they will fill out the questionnaire and then attach the actual LOR prior to submitting.

The questionnaire is the only required part of the recommendation. The actual letter is optional. To answer your question, yes they will fill out the questionnaire and then attach the actual LOR prior to submitting.

hmm..does pharmcas show that they received the questionaire + the letter
or just the questionaire?

man sorry for so many questions!
thanks!

hmm..does pharmcas show that they received the questionaire + the letter
or just the questionaire?

man sorry for so many questions!
thanks!

PharmCAS will let you know once the LOR is submitted. More than likely anyone doing a LOR will write an actual letter and submit that as well, but if they didn't then there would be no way for you to know what was submitted unless you didn't waive your right to access the LOR (it's best to waive it) assuming you get an interview.

Optional letter? That's crazy!

Does PharmCAS actively notify you or would you need to check the site manually?

OH and that question earlier might've been lost. Is your transcript request form formatted kind of weird? The instructions has random spaces in it.

Optional letter? That's crazy!

Does PharmCAS actively notify you or would you need to check the site manually?

OH and that question earlier might've been lost. Is your transcript request form formatted kind of weird? The instructions has random spaces in it.

Yea one of my LORs was by the paper route and I read what was on the form. It would be really stupid for someone to submit an LOR without the actual letter though.:laugh:

You would need to check the site.

Not sure what you mean.:confused:

Not sure what you mean.:confused:

So it gives you a PDF right?

Under "INSTRUCTIONS TO THE APPLICANT" is a paragraph that starts out like so:

Please provide the info rmation re quested b elow... Submit t he...

(bold added for emphasis)

If that's messed up, I don't know what else could be wrong about that form...

So it gives you a PDF right?

Under "INSTRUCTIONS TO THE APPLICANT" is a paragraph that starts out like so:

(bold added for emphasis)

If that's messed up, I don't know what else could be wrong about that form...

Haha. I never noticed that. The copies that I have look that way as well. :laugh: That's minor though. I wouldn't focus too much on that. Good catch though lol.

Haha. I never noticed that. The copies that I have look that way as well. :laugh: That's minor though. I wouldn't focus too much on that. Good catch though lol.

Yeah.. it's just that for the money PharmCAS charges, the quality is pretty bad. Inconsistent/vague instructions, website/app usability issues, and now this...

I'm weird like that about details. :oops::p

Hi all,
I am planning to enroll in Pre-Pharmacy program at PBA,West Palm Beach.Anybody have an idea about the fee at this school for Pre-Pharmacy.

Thanks

Hi all,
I am planning to enroll in Pre-Pharmacy program at PBA,West Palm Beach.Anybody have an idea about the fee at this school for Pre-Pharmacy.

Thanks

Isn't it the same as its undergraduate tuition?

What do you do if when entering the course title, you run out of room? Some of the course titles on my transcript are really long and do not fit (Example: American Political Thought: The Progressives stops at American Political Thought: The Progressi). Do I just enter until it cuts off, even if it is mid-word? Or do I try to abbreviate? Either way, it will not match my transcript exactly.

Preparing to submit today! Is there anything else you all could think to check over before submitting? Like any last minute details?

And, could anyone answer the question I asked earlier about changing an on-campus address?

When I was going through Pharmcas's school directory, I noticed that some of the school's letter of reference evaluator types were incomplete. For example, next to the supervisor, there was a blank as oppose to N/R/CR,etc. Was this done on purpose? Also, does a blank mean that the Pharmacy school won't accept those types of letters? And also, one of the school I'm applying to has a minimum GPA that I'm very close to. Should I submit my entire application before the upcoming Fall semester end even though my gpa is below the minimum when I know that this semester I will be able to bring it above?

Is there any advantage in e-submitting now? rather than a month later? (like around mid-august)

not sure of the LoR problem. but with the GPA, i believe its alrite. I was close the minimum of a school, and the school representative said I could put in an application (also probably because we'll be able to update after fall semester)

If it is blank, it is ok. If it is R, it is "recommended" (read: preferred) if it is N, then it is not accepted.

So schools that require a R from Pharmacist is just really "recommended" ? Wow I was so scared lol.

R: Required
From pharmcas website! The website has all the answers guys:

CR: Conditionally Required
Rec: Recommended but Not Required
N: Not Accepted
N/CR: Not Accepted, unless applicant meets other institution specific requirements as listed on applicable School Page.

Status
Not open for further replies.