PharmD/ B.S in pharmaceutical marketing and management potential

Started by lljayx37
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lljayx37

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, I am interested in pursing a career in pharmacy. I am currently a senior in hs and have been accepted to a 0-6 program. An option that students have is to double major and one is pharmaceutical marketing and management. It sounds interesting because that is pretty much what I want to do after getting a PharmD. Because it is a double major that means i'd have to take more classes so I might not be able to focus fully on my pharmD. Would you guys/grils recomend that I take this double major pathway so after I graduate I could work for some pharm company? Would the b.s in pharmaceutical marketing and management even help me and what do you think the pay would be? Thanks
 
Just my opinion, but I think if you are doing a 0-6 it certainly wouldn't do you any harm getting a BS as well. Especially if you say you definitely want to do the business/marketing side of things. I think that degree would also be useful if you ended up at an independent or opening your own business. As far as 'focusing' totally on PharmD... don't worry about that. You are going to be getting PharmD out the wazoo. You'll be fine. I personally don't think 0-6 is a great idea (this is coming from an old fart, so consider the source), because I think an 18 year old really has no concept of what they are getting into (please don't take offense. I was 18 once). So anything that will make you more well-rounded can't hurt. Just one girl's opinion.
 
Thanks for your reply. I am actually 17(in your eyes probably worse lol) but am certain I want to do pharmacy after actually shadowing a pharmacist for a while. Starting a store would be cool but would require a lot of cash (don't want to loan). I would like to do it but if there is not a big diff in potential salary I probably won't go for it. I've searched on google for a bit but was not able to find an answer for the salary part. Once again thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is this USP? I know we have a PM&M major...
Regardless of school, I used to want to do a double major of PharmD/pharm-tox, but my advisor talked me out of it. She said that I'd be able to do the same things whether it was with or without the second major (the second major really wouldn't benefit me). And there are a lot of extra credits you'd have to take, so you'd have to stay at least 1 summer (maybe 2 if you don't want to have a bajillion 19-20 credit semesters and don't have much AP credit).
If you really want the extra business courses, you could always get a business or a marketing minor (I think the marketing minor is less credits so I'd go with that one), but again, only if you have space. I guess when you start school, meet with your advisor (and hope it's a good one) and lay out the schedule you'll have with and without the major/minor. My roommate took a bunch of business classes and he said he really enjoyed them because he got to see pharmacy from the business standpoint. But again, you could probably get into pharmacy sales with just a PharmD or even less (but I guess a PharmD would get your salary up). I talked to a PharmD drug rep and it seemed like he got his job pretty easily.
What exactly are your career goals in industry?
 
well i got into both but I was looking at mcps double major. St. Johns doesn't have it so that's why I am not considering going there even though I got in. Anyways career goals are mainly like I want to work for a pharm. company either marketing or sales. I don't really like the retail setting so I want to do something like that. I am not sure if the second degree would help me in that case or if it would is it even worth it? Basically anything that is not retail
 
well i got into both but I was looking at mcps double major. St. Johns doesn't have it so that's why I am not considering going there even though I got in. Anyways career goals are mainly like I want to work for a pharm. company either marketing or sales. I don't really like the retail setting so I want to do something like that. I am not sure if the second degree would help me in that case or if it would is it even worth it? Basically anything that is not retail

As I said, you probably don't need to waste your time on a whole second major. Do, however, take some business classes, and maybe even business/marketing minor if you have time.
 
Would you guys/grils recomend that I take this double major pathway so after I graduate I could work for some pharm company? Would the b.s in pharmaceutical marketing and management even help me and what do you think the pay would be? Thanks
Yes, it may give you an edge in getting an interview, but it is not by any means a guarantee of a job offer. You would still have to be very, very good - have good GPA, industry rotations/internships, leadership experience, and ace the interviews (there will be more than one).

I would like to do it but if there is not a big diff in potential salary I probably won't go for it. I've searched on google for a bit but was not able to find an answer for the salary part.
There will be no difference in salary. PharmD is way higher than any BS as far as determining where within the salary range for a given position you would fall. You are paid primarily based on your position, not on your degrees.

But again, you could probably get into pharmacy sales with just a PharmD or even less (but I guess a PharmD would get your salary up). I talked to a PharmD drug rep and it seemed like he got his job pretty easily.
Pharmacy sales is pretty much a dead and dying field. Read the news, they are beign laid off by thousands. And no one would want to hire a PharmD as a sales rep anymore because they cost too much, and you don't need the extra knowledge to be a drug rep. On the opposite, there is too much of a danger that you will start using your knowledge and get outside the approved label, and get your company in trouble with the FDA.

Anyways career goals are mainly like I want to work for a pharm. company either marketing or sales. I don't really like the retail setting so I want to do something like that. I am not sure if the second degree would help me in that case or if it would is it even worth it? Basically anything that is not retail
Forget sales, it's boring, a non-entity, and is likely to disappear soon anyway. For marketing, the business background could be helpful. But by your answer, you have barely any idea about what opportunities there are for pharmacists other than retail, so my best advice to you would be to explore all the different options - clinical careers, industry, managed care, hospital - to find out the one you would enjoy. You are not at the place in your life yet where you can make an informed commitment to a certain career path.

As I said, you probably don't need to waste your time on a whole second major. Do, however, take some business classes, and maybe even business/marketing minor if you have time.
I agree.
 
Thanks! You cleared some stuff up 🙂

I looked into the different fields(that's what i meant by opportunities). I think the industrial side is a better fit for me. Is it hard finding good internships? I know that pharmd is higher then a b.s but I was wondering if having both and going towards the marketing or management side will give you a boost in salary if you have both pharmd/ b.s in pharmaceutical marketing and management but you cleared that up for me as well.
 
I looked into the different fields(that's what i meant by opportunities). I think the industrial side is a better fit for me. Is it hard finding good internships? I know that pharmd is higher then a b.s but I was wondering if having both and going towards the marketing or management side will give you a boost in salary if you have both pharmd/ b.s in pharmaceutical marketing and management but you cleared that up for me as well.

As far as internships, I am just plain not sure, a lot of companies I have heard of are cutting down expenses and may be eliminating or downsizing their internship programs... hard to say. Your school should be able to help you with the programs available, and keep checking out websites of the pharma companies.

An MBA may offer incremental increase in salary, but since you are straight out of high school, it's not an option for you yet.