PharmD Career Choices

Started by koercive
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

koercive

Industry HE&OR, Large Cap Pharma
Partner Organization
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Personally, there is no way in hell I want to work retail (and if I have to , I only want to do it temporarily to get my feet wet). That being said, what are job positions are there? I have done sales for a year and half, and I don't mind a sales-type job.

If I get a MBA / PharmD will that allow me to work in a managerial job at a pharmaceutical company? is the PharmD or the MBA overkill for the career I am looking for? I know you can get into sales with just a college degree or less, but will having a PharmD put me ahead?

What are you guys planning to do with a PharmD?
 
Wait till you get into pharm program... most schools have a class dedicated to this exact question! it's a blow off class, but you can get something out of it.
 
The number of job options available to you are widely ranging. You could work in a drug-store, own your own drugstore, manage a drug store..... working in a hospital, teach, do research, work in a laboratory, work in a pharmaceutical company, lead the company, etc. The jobs are endless with a Pharm D. and MBA Degree. Research and go after what interests you have!

As for me, I already have a Bachelors Degree in Education (high school math teacher), and nearly a Masters Degree in School Counseling. I hope to get a Pharm D. Degree and someday work in a childrens hospital with a subspecialty in pedatric oncology. I would like to pursue teaching pharmacy at the college level as well in time. I feel my previous degrees give me a headstart in working with future patients and professionals in the future.

Have fun!

Sincerely,
Shawn (futurerxguy)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You could ask your questions to schools that have an MBA/Pharm.D. They could probably tell you what jobs their graduates took. You might also want to change the title of your thread to "MBA/Pharm.D. Questions." I'm pretty sure I've seen a few people on here who are pursuing that route so you might be able to get their attention with a different title.