PharmD or MD ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmay0001

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the option to continue MD or go to PharmD after my Masters.

Basically i like medicine and people. What puts me off is the long working hours. At 28 i dont think i can work 4 night shifts in a row 1 allnighter makes me feel broken. Consider 4 straight night shifts is hard. But i like medicine more than pharamcy.

However Pharmacy is not bad either. only problem is employability. Clinical Pharamcy jobs are limited

Members don't see this ad.

With most pharmacy gigs you'll work 40 hours max a week unlike most medical specialties. If you're in it to provide patient care go MD though, PharmD practice is more limited than what schools or groups want to make you think unless you're at a federal facility. If you can land a job pharmacy is a good field in my opinion. 6 figure job, 40 hours a week, and unless you're a PIC you can pretty much leave work at work and enjoy your free time.

Reactions: 1 user
I have the option to continue MD or go to PharmD after my Masters.

Basically i like medicine and people. What puts me off is the long working hours. At 28 i dont think i can work 4 night shifts in a row 1 allnighter makes me feel broken. Consider 4 straight night shifts is hard. But i like medicine more than pharamcy.

However Pharmacy is not bad either. only problem is employability. Clinical Pharamcy jobs are limited
Most pharmacists work in retail. Many of those work 12+ hour shifts. Physicians hours can be brutal through training, but once you're working I think there are more options for reasonable hours out there (if that is your primary goal).

Reactions: 1 user
Most pharmacists work in retail. Many of those work 12+ hour shifts. Physicians hours can be brutal through training, but once you're working I think there are more options for reasonable hours out there (if that is your primary goal).
Thanks alot for your help !!! :)