Pharmd/phd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmwannab

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone doing the pharmd/phd in pharmacokinetics? Curious what the phd classes are like (difficulty, etc.)? Also wondering out of curiosity what kind of work is available for the phd holders and what the pay is like? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not doing the combined program, but we had a few students in our class pursue it. I believe most of them changed their minds during the first year and dropped the PHd classes to just pursue their pharmD. I think its a very intensive program and doesn't leave much students with much extra time. With that being said, at least at our school, I think its a rather flexible program and you are able to take as few classes towards the PHd as you want each semester. So, I suppose if you're not in a big hurry to graduate that it might be a little less intense.

Kinetics??? Arrgh! That class is kicking my butt right now! More power to you if you're smart enough to go for a doctorate in it!

Members don't see this ad :)
For theoretical (mathematical) kinetics, not too terribly difficult if you have the proper mathematics background:

"Proper Mathematics Background":
Calculus through optimization
Matrix algebra
Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations
Numerical Methods (Chebyshev's, Kolmogorov, and Runge-Kutta algorithms)

For applied (experiemental) kinetics, you need a solid background in statistics (multivariate at the Neter, et. al, Applied Linear Regression Models level, semiparametric methods like Poisson and Cox PH), programming in S-Plus or R, and the willingness to let Ralph the rat die for advancing science.

VERY, VERY few people show up to that graduate program with that background. That's okay, but you may have to do a preliminary mathematics year to catch up. It can be done at the pharmacy level. At UMN, we have a 4th year student in that preparation right now.

This is the very program that I think I want to do.

I have a bachelor and will earn my masters in statistics in may with an undergrad in math and I want to apply my statistical knowledge to pharmacy.
And I am thinking of going to pharmacy school as well.

So this would be the perfect fit for me.

Where are you doing this combined program? I am thinking of maybe doing this at UF.

Pharmwannab said:
Anyone doing the pharmd/phd in pharmacokinetics? Curious what the phd classes are like (difficulty, etc.)? Also wondering out of curiosity what kind of work is available for the phd holders and what the pay is like? Thanks!

What's available, for strictly kineticks not much, but if you went into pharmaceutics and kinetics, quite a few jobs in the industry like Pfizer, Lily, so forth. You can always teach or precept as well. Really with Pharm D/PhD you are setting youself up either for a teaching/academic/research career or working in the industry. Good luck.