PharmD Students, how many hours per week are devoted to studies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BradS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering starting at LSU's pre-pharmacy program with hopes of getting into Creighton's web based program in the future. I currently work 40 hours per week and was wondering how much I should expect to devote to my studies if/when I do get accepted to a PharmD program. (Even if I don't get accepted to Creighton, there's still 2 other universities in my state that offer PharmD programs)

For example, Creighton's program has mostly 18 credit hours in every semester. How many hours per week would you guys and gals estimate I'd need to spend on watching/participating in the lecture, completing coursework, and studying for tests? I know I can handle the pre-pharmacy courses since a lot would be night classes and correspondence courses, I'm just worried about what'll happen in a few years when I start getting into the juicy stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

I do not have much experience on Creightons online program. However I believe the consensus is that pharmacy is a full time job, especially during your rotation year. The level of studying varies depending on the year, but in my p2 year, I studied 1-2 hours on a normal week, and +10-12 hours for every test there is in that week. I dont know what are your intern hours requirement, but our rotations is a 9-5 job, 40 hours a week.

When doing the 40 hour/week rotations, is that usually a paid deal? Is there any studying that needs to be done during rotations? Would getting a night time job be out of the question?

Members don't see this ad :)
You pay the school for the honor of doing rotations. ACPE requires that all school experientials be unpaid. Most P-4s who work do it over the weekend. Most rotations end at about 5pm, so it's too late to do any evening work. Some of the rotations do have quizzes attached to them. However, this is a school related question, so you do best by asking the P-4s at your school.

lol... work... let me bring you up to speed on the new requirements that graduates must take part in. They are called IPPE's which in short are rotations before your P-4 year. They require 300 hours before your P-4 year, while that does not sound awful, here is the kicker, it's unpaid and it has to be a part of the curriculum- meaning that it must be part of a course, or a course by itself. This means that it cannot be done over winter or summer break unless you have a summer semester that you are willing to pay money for. That will already cut down on the amount of time of paid work... I used to work 30 hrs per week in undergrad and I am no longer doing half of that, and we haven't even began doing our IPPEs. Trust me, i dont like the idea that i took out a student loan in order to have a life, but thats the way its going to be

I try to study 2-4 hrs each day. And maybe more when there are exams coming around. I usually work Saturdays, so I usually don't get much studying in unless there is a test. Sunday is spent studying also..if i don't have work. This routine has worked for me so far (3.74 GPA as of 2nd year)

I try to study 2-4 hrs each day. And maybe more when there are exams coming around. I usually work Saturdays, so I usually don't get much studying in unless there is a test. Sunday is spent studying also..if i don't have work. This routine has worked for me so far (3.74 GPA as of 2nd year)

Nerd.

On average, I worked 13-20 hours per week (minimum 13 hrs as required by my internship). I arranged it so that I would work 8 hours on Saturdays, 5 hours on Friday evenings, and some Thursdays and holidays.

As for studying, I average 5 hours Monday-Thursday and Sundays with my favorite shows on TV at the same time so it doesn't get too quiet around me. Extracurriculars are like treats- I'll go to my pharm fraternity's events or study with my classmates. I find time to eat dinner, go to symphony in the city, rent movies from Blockbuster (cheaper than cable TV). Our pharm class holds a lot of social activities (e.g. Iron Chef cooking contest, cultural events with food, movie nights, class ski trips) so there is always a good balance of work and play.

Yea..I know...I could study less and still get by. But it's the last time ill be in school so i figure ill give it one last hoorah! Had my share of crappy grades in the past..already. haha

I am considering starting at LSU's pre-pharmacy program with hopes of getting into Creighton's web based program in the future. I currently work 40 hours per week and was wondering how much I should expect to devote to my studies if/when I do get accepted to a PharmD program. (Even if I don't get accepted to Creighton, there's still 2 other universities in my state that offer PharmD programs)

For example, Creighton's program has mostly 18 credit hours in every semester. How many hours per week would you guys and gals estimate I'd need to spend on watching/participating in the lecture, completing coursework, and studying for tests? I know I can handle the pre-pharmacy courses since a lot would be night classes and correspondence courses, I'm just worried about what'll happen in a few years when I start getting into the juicy stuff.
Depending on what year I am in. My P1&2, I worked at least 16 hrs/wk, but I would call in sick when didn't have enough time to study for exams (I waited to the last minute to study for memorization). I devoted my entire time to study during my P3 (it's the hardest year of all) so kept calling in sick. My last also P4, I can only work max 8 hrs/wk or none at all because I'm required to be at the rotation sites at least 40 hrs/wk, so I'm burnt out.

Flexibility is my motif.