PharmD to MD advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

drugznbugz

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all! I am currently a P4 set to graduate in May. A voice in my head's been pushing me to pursue the physician route for a few years and once I worked with physicians during rotations, I knew I couldn't ignore it any longer. I was wondering what my odds were with these stats:

Undergrad:
sGPA: 3.25
cGPA: 3.55

PharmD GPA: 3.67

I believe I'm pretty set on the extracurriculars/comm service. I'm 2020 class representative with plenty of professional presentations, research experience, and clinical experience. I founded a basketball league in my city (not sure if that counts for anything) and received a few scholarships for community service during my time in pharm school, and one I received for interest in pursuing an unconventional path after pharmacy school (medical school, of course). I've worked in a hospital as a pharmacy intern for 3 years as well.

I have yet to take physics I and II, and still need to take the MCAT. Do I have a shot at MD with the low sGPA? I'm assuming my chances would rely heavily upon my MCAT score, so what kind of score should I be aiming for to have a shot?

Best,

drugznbugz
 
To be safe for MD, I'd say you would want to shoot for a 515+ on the MCAT. With a 3.25 sGPA, MD will be difficult, but not impossible. Your PharmD will help as well.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors