1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

PharmD to MD/DO?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by vexchaps, Dec 16, 2005.

1. vexchaps

vexchaps New Member

Pharmacist
    Hello all, I'm a 24 yo pennsylvania resident currently in my last year of pharm school at UPitt. I've been flirting with the notion of applying to med school after graduating, but am unsure about my chances and areas on which to improve on to become a better applicant. Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.96, am 2nd/97 out of the class (does this matter?)
    MCAT: planning to take 8/06
    Clinical Experience
    • : pharm tech/intern (>1000 hrs) at retail, hospital, managed care , etc : rotations=underway
    Research : took an undergrad, elective independent study/"research" project examining shingles and HIV rates &/or correlation in Tanzania (nothing really hardcore)

In addition to the condensed version above, I've volunteered at nursing homes, a homeless shelter, an addict shelter, observed surgery (open heart and tubal ligation), and took blood pressures and administered vaccines in Tanzania.

How can I improve my chances? Get EMT training? Get some better research experience? Where are realistic places to apply? I would welcome any criticism and advice, if it is not too troublesome. Thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. beastmaster

beastmaster Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Very strong resume. Put your primary focus on the MCAT. Distant second of importance will be an explanation for the career change -- fairly easy though, so just focus on the MCAT before making any unnecessary (emt, research, etc) committments.

4. USArmyDoc

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I agree. Seriously man, you should have NOO problem getting into a lot of med schools if you can nail the MCAT.

5. stookie

stookie Slick Nasty
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

Wow. How difficult is the PharmD. Material??

6. run4boston

run4boston formerly Run
    7+ Year Member

sounds like you have the academics. take the mcat and see what happens.