pharmD to MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kitkat73

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! any advice on my situation and where to go from here and my options are appreciated! thanks in advance

A little background on me

I did 3 years of undergrad at U of T studying neuroscience and psychology. I didnt get my bachelors degree and ended up entering U of T pharm (4 year program) after completing my third year.

GPA after completing 3 years of undergrad: 3.46 (18.5 credits--i dont know if this matters)

Im currently heading into my third year of pharmacy school (3.7 gpa). The reason I'm considering the switch from pharmD to med (most likely will finish pharmD first though) is because I want more patient interaction. I've had the chance to work in a pharmacy for a while now and although I can see how pharmacist are able to help patients, I do think they are limited by time restraints and the amount of time they can dedicate to providing one on one patient care. As a doctor I can take the time to get to know the patient and their history and preferences more in depth and orient my care to best assist them. My parents are also both doctors which does apply a bit of pressure on me because I've always admired the profession. I do have a deep respect for pharmacy and the idea of being a pharmacist does still excite me. I just want to know what my options would be if I was to go down the med path.

I've looked into schools in ontario that do not have MCAT as part of their admission requirements because I find it challenging to incorporate a study schedule for MCAT alongside fulfilling my other requirements to complete my pharmacy degree. I'm aware that Uottawa is one of them, but I dont know how feasible an acceptance from them would be because of my undergrad gpa and my lack of a bachelors.

Any insight or advice from anyone who is/was in a similar situation would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! any advice on my situation and where to go from here and my options are appreciated! thanks in advance

A little background on me

I did 3 years of undergrad at U of T studying neuroscience and psychology. I didnt get my bachelors degree and ended up entering U of T pharm (4 year program) after completing my third year.

GPA after completing 3 years of undergrad: 3.46 (18.5 credits--i dont know if this matters)

Im currently heading into my third year of pharmacy school (3.7 gpa). The reason I'm considering the switch from pharmD to med (most likely will finish pharmD first though) is because I want more patient interaction. I've had the chance to work in a pharmacy for a while now and although I can see how pharmacist are able to help patients, I do think they are limited by time restraints and the amount of time they can dedicate to providing one on one patient care. As a doctor I can take the time to get to know the patient and their history and preferences more in depth and orient my care to best assist them. My parents are also both doctors which does apply a bit of pressure on me because I've always admired the profession. I do have a deep respect for pharmacy and the idea of being a pharmacist does still excite me. I just want to know what my options would be if I was to go down the med path.

I've looked into schools in ontario that do not have MCAT as part of their admission requirements because I find it challenging to incorporate a study schedule for MCAT alongside fulfilling my other requirements to complete my pharmacy degree. I'm aware that Uottawa is one of them, but I dont know how feasible an acceptance from them would be because of my undergrad gpa and my lack of a bachelors.

Any insight or advice from anyone who is/was in a similar situation would be great!

Those that I know that went the pharmD->MD route finished pharmD first. usually took a year or two off to work/pay loans/study prior to matriculating into the MD program. Don't know any that didn't take the MCAT. IMO the real world pharm experience helped backup their stories about "wanting more pt interactions" also.