Pharmscists who steal controlled drugs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnnyJones90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you ever worked with a pharmacist who stole controlled drugs and narcotics? I'm asking because I'm in a dilemna. I work in Florida for one of the big chains and I love my pharmacist but I think she's taking controlled drugs and even narcs from the safe....I'm surprised she hasn't gotten caught yet, to be honest. How do they usually get caught?

I only know this because I've noticed shortages on the days she works and she tells us not to report any shortages until she does the investigation herself....plus she got sloppy last week and I got all the proof I would need. I'm scared of it turning into a he said she said thing. She would just deny it. She's so cocky and confident. Plus, I don't wanna report using the ethics line because she's ****ing amazing, she's hot (not that that matters honestly, maybe Lol) but she's so nice to us and our previous PIC was such a douchebag that I almost quit forever.

I know we all have licenses but what would you do in this scenario?

Members don't see this ad.

are you a pharmacist or tech? how many tabs are missing each time? how often does it happen?

if you are the staff pharmacist and she's the manager, just tell her that you are noticing alot of discrepencies when you are not working and ask if she notices it too. see what she says (she might blame floaters). let her know you noticed, if she keeps doing it and you really do have the evidence, then... i mean...

The DEA doesn't f around. It's possible you could go down with her if you don't report it. That's cool that she's nice and all but you gotta think bigger picture. She'll get caught eventually, and you don't wanna be caught on camera watching her do it. My 2 cents.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You said you have the evidence. If you do, i think you have to report. If you dont you are guilty too. I' d hate to be on your shoes. Good luck.

CALL THE ETHICS LINE, OR YOUR LP MANGER OR YOUR PHARMACY SUPERVISOR> DO IT:

NOW

Reactions: 3 users
There are cameras all over the place. There are transaction records on everything. Once you report it, and they start looking into it, if what you say is true, you have nothing to worry about.

Talk with your store manager at least about your concerns. You do not want to get caught up in this mess. If reported to loss prevention, they will review the tapes and proceed from there.

Ever think she might be so nice to you because she doesn't want you to notice possible stealing.

Reactions: 1 user
I would not tell store manager. I would let lp know or ethics line.

Not only could you go down with your colleague if you knew about it and didn't turn her in, her little "hobby" could prove fatal. It did for one of my classmates. :(

Over the years, I have worked with several pharmacists who were caught stealing drugs (although not while they were working with me that I know of). All of them lost their licenses, and the one whose theft led to the death of a pregnant teenager went to prison. One was a complete shock to me; the others were not.

CALL THE ETHICS LINE, OR YOUR LP MANGER OR YOUR PHARMACY SUPERVISOR> DO IT:

NOW

This

This is not something to take lightly ... If you have suspicions then address them

Take her out to a nice steak dinner first.

Reactions: 1 users
Report her asap, once you have 100% irrefutable proof.

If you know it's going on and you're not reporting it, you will go down in flames along with her. Trust me when I tell you that the DEA will not accept ignorance as an excuse. Any opportunity they have to throw the ax they will take it without hesitation.

In my store if something doesn't match up we can just run a dispense report on the specific ndc number and the computer records all on hand changes so I don't know how you could get away with anything, only a pharmacist can change on hands for any controls and pharmacists log out when they leave for lunch and during overlap none of us use each others computers... I'm guessing other stores besides Walmart has similar things like this.

Have you ever worked with a pharmacist who stole controlled drugs and narcotics? I'm asking because I'm in a dilemna. I work in Florida for one of the big chains and I love my pharmacist but I think she's taking controlled drugs and even narcs from the safe....I'm surprised she hasn't gotten caught yet, to be honest. How do they usually get caught?

I only know this because I've noticed shortages on the days she works and she tells us not to report any shortages until she does the investigation herself....plus she got sloppy last week and I got all the proof I would need. I'm scared of it turning into a he said she said thing. She would just deny it. She's so cocky and confident. Plus, I don't wanna report using the ethics line because she's ****ing amazing, she's hot (not that that matters honestly, maybe Lol) but she's so nice to us and our previous PIC was such a douchebag that I almost quit forever.

I know we all have licenses but what would you do in this scenario?

If you are above the age of 18, I would confront her, not necessarily to get her in trouble, but to get into her pants.

If you are unable to do this, then really, you need to at least tell the store manager, so in the future it does not come back to YOU.

See if you can sleep with her first. If not, then sorry, have to save YOUR ass.

What does sleeping with a drug diverter do...

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on the drugs she is stealing.

It is clear that the OP has no care for ethics or else he'd have already done something about it.

Likely, ,it is some kid who is looking for professional advice on how to "score" and cleverly "blackmail" this pharmacist in question. Pretty absurd if you ask me.

On another note..... how YOU dooooiiiinnnnnnn.............

Dang, this is a late reply but you should go ahead and report it to her superior and also please tell us the outcome, I wanna know. You should never fear retaliation - if she's such a cool boss, she'll do the honorable thing. And it doesn't matter if she's hot, hot bosses can still be ****ty people and a hot ****ty person isn't all that hot.

Where did this old thread come from?
I agree with the others, its one thing to hesitate if you have vague suspensions, but no real evidence, but when you are pretty sure or even mostly sure, you need to report it. I would go to her boss (pharmacy manager or district manager), or store manager if that is her boss (I think some chains have the pharmacy manager reporting to the store manager now?) If you really fear retaliation and are scared to do this, then you at least need to report it anonymously to the boss or ethics line. You do no one any favors by ignoring the situation.

Pics?

Reactions: 2 users