PharmTech Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheMission

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm currently a post-grad from a UC looking to apply to pharm school next year. As a result, I'd like to get my feet wet by working as a pharmtech. How long did you all study for it? Pointers would be appreciated. I bought the Mosby book off amazon. My friend used it and passed, and he's at USC now for pharm school. I'd rather not bother him with the details, so I'll ask here. Most importantly, how long did it take to study for this test? It'll range, but I'm trying to get a rough idea so I know what to plan for. Last but not least, are there recommendations for which retailers to work at? I'm thinking Target, for my situation, but I'm open to other opinions. I hear they don't require the tech license, and pay you the same regardless of certifications (they do pay more than others though...I think).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have the same exact questions as you! I also have the Mosby book from Amazon. However, I read on the Ptcb.org website that they have revised the test as of Nov 2013... I hear the current one is harder. I have downloaded the current "blueprint" of the revised test and trying to start studying based on what it says we need to concentrate on. BUT, does anyone on this forum know more information or has recently taken the test and can give some tips and advice??

After graduation i had nothing to do, so i just bought a book and studied for like a month (not as intense as i studied pcat though)
http://www.pharmacy-tech-study.com/ this site was useful for me. some info + practice exams..

All i can think of is 1) laws and policy questions 2) calculation 3) drugs classification part

For drug part, like i had no idea of brand and generic names of some drugs
but make sure to know some classification. like suffix -olol is beta blocker etc.. (that website i gave you also has drug suffix part too)
and i think it will be very usuful to memorize top 100 drugs at least.

I grabbed just a random book i found on barnes and nobles but i heard many good reviews of mosby.

Also, after i got certified, i tried to find a job at Target too, cuz i heard it was easier there?
but chances are they are no spots open. I was lucky enough to get a tech job near my house but i guess good luck. you might have hard time find one but keep trying!
i pretty much printed out 20 resumes and visited every retail i see and gave the manager my resume lol

Luckily, one of the pharmacists i talked to told me her friend (my current pharmacist manager now) is looking for a tech, so i should go to her store.
other than this, i have not heard back from other 20 places i submitted application or gave resume :p