-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
- Home
- Forums
- Physician and Resident Communities (MD / DO)
- Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties
- Hematology / Oncology
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Phase I clinical trial MD Anderson
Started by hemonco
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Anyone opinion about this fellowship?
Will they take you without completing a H/O fellowship? If so, it's probably like all the other 1 yr non-accredited fellowships (blood banking, transplant, sickle cell, etc)...they're looking for a scut monkey. You will definitely get something out of it (and MDACC would be a great place to learn about Phase 1) but don't count on it translating into a fellowship spot, either at MDACC or elsewhere.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you, it's bad........
That's not what I said at all.
One other thing that I forgot to mention was that it would give you some USCE if you don't already have it, which would be very helpful if you wind up applying for accredited training in the US.
you can give me....please
I can give you what exactly?
(Fairly certain I'm being trolled here.)
give you some USCE ??...
US clinical experience. A prerequisite to getting into almost any decent training program in the US.
The Phase I fellowship will give you plenty of research time, and there are people who do that prior to going on to heme/onc fellowship at MD Anderson or elsewhere...I guess it depends what your goals are.
The OP is a foreign-trained oncologist looking for a back door into the US system without completing a US residency. Unless s/he completely rocks that year, it is likely to be a dead end from a clinical standpoint.
please anyone else who did this fellowship? I have interview this week....
Go to the interview. Find out for yourself. Your options are fairly limited at this point.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone did this fellowship?Please reply!!!
How was the interview?
What would you consider the value of this fellowship for someone who has finished an ACGME accredited Hem/onc fellowship? Many programs are establishing phase I programs , would this give you a competitive edge to start somewhere as junior faculty in this area?
any result from MD Anderson ( Phase I clinical trial)?
You're the one who applied and interviewed. You tell us.
When I was completing my residency I interviewed for this fellowship for my gap year. I was pretty much sold on doing it and was accepted but decided to pass bc I needed to make some money for heme onc fellowship interviews and life. I think it would be great. Great clinical research experience, very structured program, and good leadership. Very cutting edge stuff as well. I was not worried about matching but having it on your resume would give you an additional advantage I think from whatever end you are on, from not matching to matching or increasing your number of interviews. The interview was intense as I met with 9 faculty and it went all day. I met some other fellows but they seemed incredibly busy. You spend your week with 2 research days per week and 3 clinic days and a heavy didactic schedule. You have 20 days off for the year, which was also concerned about in my gap year since I needed to interview for the 3 yr fellowship and wanted some vacation time. Hope this was helpful.
anyone opinion about phase I clinical trial fellowship at MD Anderson?
please an advice!!!
Dude...enough. Time to be a grown up and make a decision.
Did they offer it to you? Do you have anything better to do this year? Take it.
If you've got a better offer doing something else...do that instead.
If you're expecting this to be a back door into a H/O fellowship at MDACC, forget it. It might work, but the odds are against you.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The OP is a foreign-trained oncologist looking for a back door into the US system without completing a US residency. Unless s/he completely rocks that year, it is likely to be a dead end from a clinical standpoint.
The "new way" to back door into a fellowship is to enter a PhD program through UT Houston/MD Anderson. PhD programs there are FULL of foreign MDs.
PhD programs at a ton of mid/low-tier state universities are full of foreign MDs. This is nothing new. Half of my PhD class (at one of those mid/low-tier state schools) was foreign MDs, the rest of us were MD/PhD candidates.The "new way" to back door into a fellowship is to enter a PhD program through UT Houston/MD Anderson. PhD programs there are FULL of foreign MDs.
PhD programs at a ton of mid/low-tier state universities are full of foreign MDs. This is nothing new. Half of my PhD class (at one of those mid/low-tier state schools) was foreign MDs, the rest of us were MD/PhD candidates.
I never noticed this before having worked in academia for many years, but I did notice a shift around the late 2000s. So the "standard" in academia especially at major medical centers ,seems to be slowly shifting to MD/PhDs being the primary educational requirement for "entry".
Guess it's a good thing I'm interested in both degrees too.😵
I am very interested in pursuing a Phase 1 fellowship but in the grey zone on what the career path will be after doing this fellowship. Will it be only academia or pharma? What are the options left in case of failure at landing an academia job? will it harm if I were to come back to clinical practice at the VA or in private?
My Goals at this time: get more info on career AFTER Phase 1 Fellowship vs after MBA/ MPH with my Heme-Onc background.
My current status: practicing Hematology-Oncology for 6 years at a VA Hospital (not affiliated with a University).
My Background: None in research. All clinical.
Thanks in advance to all.
My Goals at this time: get more info on career AFTER Phase 1 Fellowship vs after MBA/ MPH with my Heme-Onc background.
My current status: practicing Hematology-Oncology for 6 years at a VA Hospital (not affiliated with a University).
My Background: None in research. All clinical.
Thanks in advance to all.