Quantcast

PhD after completing medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunwayModel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Are there any MD/Phd programs that let you enter if you have already completed medical school? I have completed medical school in the U.S. and one year of internal medicine internship and would like to obtain a PhD. Would I still have to take the GRE?

xanthines

decaying organic matter
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not really sure. The only way to really know, would be to call up some schools and ask.

Have you thought about the STARS thing at UCLA? Supposedly you get a PhD during residency.

-X

Are there any MD/Phd programs that let you enter if you have already completed medical school? I have completed medical school in the U.S. and one year of internal medicine internship and would like to obtain a PhD. Would I still have to take the GRE?

qqq

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've been wondering this too. there are many programs out there, and more and more are directed to applicants not just in IM and path (e.g. rads, surg). if you get into a combined program (residency/phd or fellowship/phd) then it's unlikely you'd have to take the gre. if you tried to get the phd separately, then you might be subject to the normal grad school requirment (take gre). obviously the the combined programs are very competitive (many offer admissions to fellowship of choice) since they intend to groom faculty and thus require appropriate pedigree coming in. the apsa webpage is a good place to start looking but i've noticed some are not listed there. n.b., regarding competition, i noticed on the STAR website all the ppl in the derm research pathway were all md/phd already.