all41

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
Status
Does any of you know if it's possible to do PhD after graduation, meaning not as a combined MD/PhD program?

all41

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
Status
and another question: When can one take a research fellowship? Is it possible before residency? or after one year of residency? How competitive is it considered?
thanks!

pseudoknot

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2004
Hershey, PA
Status
Attending Physician
all41 said:
Does any of you know if it's possible to do PhD after graduation, meaning not as a combined MD/PhD program?
Sure, you can just apply to PhD programs with everyone else. There are some threads on this over in the pre-MD/PhD forum for which you can search. There are also programs specifically designed for this; the one I'm familiar with is this:

http://www.star.med.ucla.edu/

I rotated through a lab at Caltech where a UCLA professor of medicine was finishing up her PhD through the STAR program. I think she got out a bit faster than the norm because of this as well.

Jordan

About the Ads

Crypt Abscess

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2002
Visit site
Status
It is much easier to get your PhD after an MD. Many residency and fellowship programs offer research tracks which culminate in a PhD with only an additional year of time. At most programs that I am aware of, you get paid the normal PGY level salary, and tuition is covered. This provides a small financial incentive.

all41

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
Status
Thanks. This is encouraging. Do you know where can I find these programs? (I do not know if FREIDA is the right place).

MacGyver

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2001
Visit site
Status
Crypt Abscess said:
It is much easier to get your PhD after an MD. Many residency and fellowship programs offer research tracks which culminate in a PhD with only an additional year of time. At most programs that I am aware of, you get paid the normal PGY level salary, and tuition is covered. This provides a small financial incentive.
Sorry, but a 1 year PhD program is not a "real" doctorate level program.

About the Ads