PhD Before Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldejal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was recently extended a Ph.D. opportunity in Entomology. Entomology is one of my majors that I really enjoyed as an undergraduate. What are the benefits of completing a Ph.D in Entomology before applying to Vet School? Is this a good idea since I already do research in this area? Are there any cons? How will this look on a Vet School Application?

Members don't see this ad.

Well do you want a career in entomological research or do you want to be a veterinarian? The two I guess are not mutually exclusive but I would have a hard time justifying the time spent completing both.

Hey, I was recently extended a Ph.D. opportunity in Entomology. Entomology is one of my majors that I really enjoyed as an undergraduate. What are the benefits of completing a Ph.D in Entomology before applying to Vet School? Is this a good idea since I already do research in this area? Are there any cons? How will this look on a Vet School Application?
There were two members of my vet school class that had PhDs - but it's pretty unusual. I would not do it if your reason is just to improve your chances of getting to vet school, but if you want to become a veterinary parasitologist, then it will have definite benefits.

I have a PhD and started vet school this year. However, I decided about halfway through my PhD that I really wanted to be a veterinary pathologist, based on what I was doing for research and talking to others in the field. I finished the PhD and got accepted my first year applying. My clinic hours were low, but I explained in my PS that I wanted to do research and pathology.

I agree with others that it will really depend on what you want to do. For me, it's getting to the point in the vet path field that a PhD is HIGHLY recommended. Overall, my time spent completing both degrees and a residency will be about 3 years longer than if I had done a combined residency/PhD program. That is a big con though, that I can't really apply to combined programs now. I think it boils down to what aspect of veterinary medicine do you want to do? Could you wait to get a PhD afterward? A PhD is a HUGE time commitment and you shouldn't do it just as a means to get into vet school.

Reactions: 1 user