PhD Combined programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hihina

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was trying to apply, some schools offer PhD combined programs. So could someone please tell me about these programs, do you have to apply separately or is it only the dental school application? Also, does it take more than 4 years to graduate?

Members don't see this ad.

why not contact the schools directly

btw dont do it for the money
Honestly its not for the money but its because I enjoy learning. I just never knew there was such a thing and was wondering if anyone knows more about it.
I will hopefully ask the schools about it but I was looking for an overview about that

There's this trend I see on SDN to try to discourage someone from doing the PhD in oral health...why though? If someone wants to go into this because they like the idea of research and like the freee incentive...why discourage him? It's not like you have to be obsessed with research to do it...if you're interested I'd say think about it and do it. I seriously considered it and it's not like I'd done 2000+ hrs of research in my undergrad

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All the ones I have looked at take more than 4 years to complete. It is a big commitment and the best way to know if it is right for you is to become involved in dental research now!

Reactions: 1 user
It's definitely an important decision but yeah if I was to get into it I'd opt in dying dental school. I guess you can't know for sure if you're up to until you begin the curriculum....same goes for specialty IMO

Reactions: 1 user
Of you're interested in applying you definitely have to read the school's applicant information. Not all dual programs require an application, however, most do. I'm in the process of applying to these programs now and can tell you that it's going to be a LONG haul. Do not apply unless you understand the level of commitment these programs require.

p.s. my career interests don't involve private practice; I want to conduct basic scientific research/teach clinical dentistry

You must also show a commitment to science, indicated by significant research experience on your app.