PhD first or enter in a MD/PhD program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnathanbarefoot25

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be better to get my PhD first after I complete my Masters or try to get into a MD/PhD program? Regardless I want to become a MD/PhD. So if anyone who has an MD/PhD or any MSTP students willing to share advice and stories, I would greatly appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Moving to physician scientists.

As above, you want to do an MSTP for a number of reasons, including that it will be much cheaper for you and take less time.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you can get into an MSTP program, absolutely do it. It saves on average 1-2 years and your med school should be paid for

Would it be better to get my PhD first after I complete my Masters or try to get into a MD/PhD program? Regardless I want to become a MD/PhD. So if anyone who has an MD/PhD or any MSTP students willing to share advice and stories, I would greatly appreciate it.

Get into a dedicated MD/PhD program for sure. If you can't, apply for accelerated MD (Columbia has one) after PhD

Does anyone know about the NIH GPP program?
Apparently you do a Ph.D. first as a GPP student then you can apply to medical school and the NIH will pay for your medical school expenses. Of course, that medical school you matriculate to must be one with an MSTP program.

Again I don't to much about it but it's worth looking into since right I am somewhere between applying PhD and MD/PhD.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know about the NIH GPP program?
Apparently you do a Ph.D. first as a GPP student then you can apply to medical school and the NIH will pay for your medical school expenses. Of course, that medical school you matriculate to must be one with an MSTP program.

Again I don't to much about it but it's worth looking into since right I am somewhere between applying PhD and MD/PhD.
Never heard of this program. I did PhD first then MD. I would advise you to either do MD/PhD or MD and avoid the PhD route