PhD in biology and THEN PharmD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FarscapeGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a fourth-year PhD student in biology who recently decided to pursue a PharmD after I finish my current program. I'm curious if anyone on here ended up getting a PhD in the biological sciences before getting their PharmD. If so, why did you switch fields? Do you now have a job where you use your PhD training at all?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a fourth-year PhD student in biology who recently decided to pursue a PharmD after I finish my current program. I'm curious if anyone on here ended up getting a PhD in the biological sciences before getting their PharmD. If so, why did you switch fields? Do you now have a job where you use your PhD training at all?

I know this girl who recently graduated (three days ago) with her PhD in plant biology and she will be starting pharmacy school come August 23, 2007...

I know this girl who recently graduated (three days ago) with her PhD in plant biology and she will be starting pharmacy school come August 23, 2007...

Hey, that's when I start school! Are they attending school in Louisiana?

Members don't see this ad :)
We had a PhD in chemistry in our class graduating in a few weeks!

I'm one of them:)

i know it is rare, but as long as you decided that you are interested in a life-long career in pharmacy, you can do it. plus, ph.d in bio is definately a bonus for your career, no matter what field. for me, i graduated with ph.d in Bio(which took me 6yrs) in May, and will become a 1pd this fall:)

BTW, it took me a long long time (>3month) to decide on this switch, you better think carefully, your interest, your personality, your life-style, etc

and a suggestion, you can volunteer on hospital pharmacy or walgreen for several month, then see whether you enjoy it or not.