PhD in biology and THEN PharmD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FarscapeGirl

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a fourth-year PhD student in biology who recently decided to pursue a PharmD after I finish my current program. I'm curious if anyone on here ended up getting a PhD in the biological sciences before getting their PharmD. If so, why did you switch fields? Do you now have a job where you use your PhD training at all?
 
I'm a fourth-year PhD student in biology who recently decided to pursue a PharmD after I finish my current program. I'm curious if anyone on here ended up getting a PhD in the biological sciences before getting their PharmD. If so, why did you switch fields? Do you now have a job where you use your PhD training at all?

I know this girl who recently graduated (three days ago) with her PhD in plant biology and she will be starting pharmacy school come August 23, 2007...
 
I know this girl who recently graduated (three days ago) with her PhD in plant biology and she will be starting pharmacy school come August 23, 2007...

Hey, that's when I start school! Are they attending school in Louisiana?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm one of them🙂

i know it is rare, but as long as you decided that you are interested in a life-long career in pharmacy, you can do it. plus, ph.d in bio is definately a bonus for your career, no matter what field. for me, i graduated with ph.d in Bio(which took me 6yrs) in May, and will become a 1pd this fall🙂

BTW, it took me a long long time (>3month) to decide on this switch, you better think carefully, your interest, your personality, your life-style, etc

and a suggestion, you can volunteer on hospital pharmacy or walgreen for several month, then see whether you enjoy it or not.