PhD in Clinical Psychology to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctoroxygen

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year student in a PhD program in clinical psychology and am finding myself more interested in behavioral medicine research (and regular medicine) than clinical psychology. I think what I'm interested in is an academic position in a medical school as a physician doing behavioral research. Given that I haven't taken any of the premed requirements yet, what's my best course of action here? Finish the PhD and then go to medical school? Would the PhD help me in admissions/securing a residency? Or would it make more sense to leave the program with an MA?

Members don't see this ad.

So, I have to ask what is it that an MD will allow you to do that your PhD in Clinical Psychology would not? Prescribe meds?

It seems to me like you could achieve your goals of doing behavioral research in a medical center with the PhD.

Good question. I'm not interested in psychiatry or mental health at all, really. It seems like PhDs only in medical schools are sort of marginalized, the opportunities for professional advancement are more limited, and the pay is a lot worse for a PhD than an MD or MD/PhD for the same job.