PhD in Counseling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joeybsmooth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a Ph.D in a Counseling, from a M&B over Pysch at an online school. If I did this what type of jobs would be open to me?

Members don't see this ad.

I am thinking about getting a Ph.D in a Counseling, from a M&B over Pysch at an online school. If I did this what type of jobs would be open to me?

Seeing as how there are no accredited online Counseling Psych programs, not much.

Depends on what your focus was in grad school. Similar to clinical, academic positions require that you have shown good productivity as evidenced by publications.

Clinically speaking, counseling psychs have many of the same opps as clinical psych folks. I know counseling often has a slightly differnt focus than clinical and that they are well trained in working with "worried well" populations. They are often the prefered candidates for college counseling center positions and internships.

However, if you read edieb's recent posts, you will know that the job market right now is rather tough, and that starting pay (at least for staff postions) is pretty pathetic ( upper 40s, 50's and 60's) considering you have a doctorate.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think he meant "B&M"--> Brick and Mortar/Residential school.

If that is the case, as long as your attended an APA-acred. university, you'd be able to go into pretty much anything that requires a person to be a psychologist. Some jobs require speciality training in certain areas, but you can build this into your training.

Doctoral programs in psychology are quite competitive, so may need to take 1-2 years to gain additional experience in research, depending on your background.

I'd advise against it if it isnt accredited and frankly a PHD in Counseling isnt the same thing as being a PHD/PsyD Psychologist. If you can get licensed then it will be at the masters level as an LPC and you are limited in that respect. However, if it is an APA accredited program where you end up as a licensed psychologist then go for it.

Do you mean a PhD in Counseling or in Counseling Psychology? A PhD in Counseling is (to my knowledge) really a PhD in counselor education. Counselors go on to get PhDs if they want to do supervision or become professors. A master's degree in counseling is sufficient to become licensed as a professional counselor. If this is the degree you're talking about you'll be looking at CACREP-accredited, not APA, programs. You can search for them here http://www.cacrep.org/directory/directory.cfm