PhD in Physiology/Immunology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sagupto

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and I would like to get used to the system in USA regarding PhD program in Biomedical Sciences such as Physiology or Immunology.
I am an Indian student currently pursuing my MD in General
Medicine at the University of Medicine and Pharmacy, "Victor Babes",
Timisoara, Romania and is in the final year of my 6 years of study
here. I will be graduating in October 2005 and would like to pursue research as my career after I finish. I wish to join the fall semester of 2006.

I have maintained a general aggregate of 85.2% (I guess thats 3.4 on a 4 scale) throughout my study in Romania.

I have worked for small stretch of periods in different departments such as Biochemistry, Physiology and Immunology for 3 to 4 months each under the professors, assisted them in their research and written 2 peer reviewd papers during mu 2nd,3rd and fifth years. Right now I am working under the Head of Department of Physiology/Immunology on "Dendritic Cell" research as part of a one year curriculum requirement, as per the system in Romania, and would be publishing my paper in September 2005.

I have yet to take the GRE and TOEFL in July 2005.

Being not fully aware of the system in the US, it makes things a bit difficult for me to grasp the admission process and requirements out there.

I would be greatly obliged if someone in the field or with similar intensions as mine could guide me. My querries are as follows:
1. If it would be wise to apply to the top-most Universities in the field of Biomedical Sciences.
2. my personal Choices are Johns Hopkins,Ann Arbor,UTH GSBS and BCM Houston. How are they ranked in terms of applied-accepted ratio for foreign nationals.Do you suggest any others?
3.Would a satisfactory score in the GRE would ruin my chances?

I would like to get in touch with someone who could guide me through.

Thanking you all.

I

Members don't see this ad.

sagupto said:
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and I would like to get used to the system in USA regarding PhD program in Biomedical Sciences such as Physiology or Immunology.
I am an Indian student currently pursuing my MD in General
Medicine at the University of Medicine and Pharmacy, "Victor Babes",
Timisoara, Romania and is in the final year of my 6 years of study
here. I will be graduating in October 2005 and would like to pursue research as my career after I finish. I wish to join the fall semester of 2006.

I have maintained a general aggregate of 85.2% (I guess thats 3.4 on a 4 scale) throughout my study in Romania.

I have worked for small stretch of periods in different departments such as Biochemistry, Physiology and Immunology for 3 to 4 months each under the professors, assisted them in their research and written 2 peer reviewd papers during mu 2nd,3rd and fifth years. Right now I am working under the Head of Department of Physiology/Immunology on "Dendritic Cell" research as part of a one year curriculum requirement, as per the system in Romania, and would be publishing my paper in September 2005.

I have yet to take the GRE and TOEFL in July 2005.

Being not fully aware of the system in the US, it makes things a bit difficult for me to grasp the admission process and requirements out there.

I would be greatly obliged if someone in the field or with similar intensions as mine could guide me. My querries are as follows:
1. If it would be wise to apply to the top-most Universities in the field of Biomedical Sciences.
2. my personal Choices are Johns Hopkins,Ann Arbor,UTH GSBS and BCM Houston. How are they ranked in terms of applied-accepted ratio for foreign nationals.Do you suggest any others?
3.Would a satisfactory score in the GRE would ruin my chances?

I would like to get in touch with someone who could guide me through.

Thanking you all.

I

Sorry. I wish I could help. One thing I will say is that you might as well apply to the top Universities.