Quantcast

phd in social science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yalla22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Is it possible to get a phd from a different institution than the md portion of the mstp-like lets say in the case that the subject one would like to pursue their phd in is one in which a very few select schools have solid programs in.

Thanks

gsilverm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes! I'm in the University of Pittsburgh / Carnegie Mellon MSTP, doing my PhD in the department of Social and Decision Sciences at Carnegie Mellon. It's an amazing department -- one the best places to be in the country if you want to study judgment and decision making. I get to apply theories and methods of psychology and economics to better understand how people make health decisions and how health policies are and should be designed. Our MSTP also has a student studying epidemiology at the Graduate School of Public Health here and someone just starting his PhD in psychology at Carnegie Mellon.

I'd be happy to talk with anyone interested in this stuff.

Gabe

tally24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Gabe,
I am applying to MSTP in social sciences, and wonder if you have any advice for the MSTP essay. MSTP obviously wants to know what kind of a physician-scientist I am going to be, but was this means is not as clear cut with the social sciences. I have a variety of past research experiences, some more sciency and some less so, and I dont quite know how to approach this one. I would appreciate any advice you may have. Thanks!