Phd/JD to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YepItsMe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
. Found discussion elsewhere, no need to clutter up forum. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
While I know it's two days to Xmas, I am pulling the knife out:

What do you want to do when you grow up? if you're interested in Sceince, get an MS, and be a lab tech/mgr. or teach Science. This country desperately needs to understand how Science works. (see , presidential election, 2016).

See post above for further elaboration.

Typical PhD (sciences) to JD path (didn't want to do research, but wanted science to remain part of my career so pursuing patent law). I am still in school, but am growing more concerned that this may not be a fulfilling career for me either (1L summer associate position didn't pan out well). In my attempt to flee my PhD, I may have made too rash of a decision going into law instead of the medical profession, which I have always had an interest in (I did informational interviews, but sadly did not do shadowing/volunteering during my PhD) [I tried pursuing a patent agent position, but did not apply widely enough. For anyone in the future, I think that would have been a more wise decision].

I am thinking of starting shadowing/volunteering at the local university hospital to begin investigating a potential career move (again!). The problem is that I appear to be a career student (and am concerned that this is actually what is motivating my interest rather than a desire to actually be a doctor. I cannot seem to disentangle the two, but hopefully shadowing/volunteering will bring insight) so making the switch after law school/clerking seems difficult, yet I am not getting younger (will be 30 by the time I could earliest apply. Not old, but growing more tired with school) and greater distance from classes would make going back to medical classes more difficult. I have no student debt, and will be making much more money than I need to be happy so practicing law at a big law firm is not a problem; I just want to find a career I would be happy in (and law may very well be the field, I just have growing reservations about the reality, given my lackluster experience so far).

I just wonder if anyone has experience with this career student problem, and whether sufficient shadowing and patient interaction can actually show someone whether a (third) career as a doctor is for them (I'm tired of running from a profession, I want to run toward one). I appreciate any and all advice.

I have the interest (in the science undergirding the profession, in joining a profession helping real people (not the legal entity of the corporation) achieve their health objectives, in working on a health team rather than just with legal documents) and understand some of the limitations (long hours (lengthy timeline of education), difficult patients, insurance), but I don't know if I have the PASSION for medicine that has been missing from my PhD and seems to be eluding me in the law (admittedly, haven't been practicing, so still early but there are ominous signs on the horizon).