PhD ---> MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunblaze

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning to apply for direct entry PhD program starting Jan 2010. I have secured an OGS scholarship + a research supervisor. However, my passion is to do both MD/PhD. Is it possible to start with the PhD program in Jan 2010 and transfer to MD/PhD in Sep 2010?

First Q: Will my application be considered if I apply to September 2010's MD/ PhD cyce?

Second Q: If I get accepted into MD/PhD, will my PhD work done since Jan 2010 to Sep 2010 be counted towards the PhD requirement of the MD/PhD program.

Thanks in advance for the help:)

Members don't see this ad.

Most institutions will not allow someone to transfer from a PhD to an MD/PhD program. Transferring from MD-only is more common because most MD/PhD curricula begin with the MD, and the MD admissions are generally more competitive than those of straight PhD programs (or at least, competitive on the same criteria).

You should definitely talk to the MD/PhD program directors at the institutions you're considering, as they will be able to give you more specific and accurate information.

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup:Thanks a lot! I really appreciate your help.

Keep in mind that switching from PhD to MD/PhD is very rare and I have seen many students be heavily discouraged from applying or rejected. If your passion is MD/PhD I would not start PhD. It's a huge mark against you if you don't finish the PhD before applying MD, and switching to MD/PhD is rare.

Of course talk to the MD/PhD program at this school you're going to. But if they're wishy washy on it I'd be very concerned.