PhD/ MD schools for Bioengineering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArynB

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
where can I can a listing or ranking of PhD/MD in bioengineering? In a year, I'm gonna graduate from undergrad in mechanical engineering and I want to go to grad school in bioengineering. I particularly want to focus in cancer research. If there isn't any kind of ranking website, if somebody could give me some insight on the better schools for what I want to do, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Aryn

Members don't see this ad.

This is from USNEWS:

Undergraduate engineering specialties: Schools with Ph.D. programs: Biomedical/Biomedical Engineering

1. Johns Hopkins University (MD)
2. Univ. of California?San Diego *
3. Duke University (NC)
4. Case Western Reserve Univ. (OH)
Massachusetts Inst. of Technology
6. University of Pennsylvania
7. Northwestern University (IL)
8. Georgia Institute of Technology *
9. University of Michigan?Ann Arbor *
University of Washington *
11. University of California?Berkeley *
12. Vanderbilt University (TN)
13. Rice University (TX)
14. Boston University
15. University of Virginia *
16. Rensselaer Polytechnic Inst. (NY)
17. Washington University in St. Louis
18. Stanford University (CA)

* denotes a public school.

I would imagine those school having the best research in biomedical engineering. The majority of them do MSTP

Case Western, Emory and John Hopkins have some of the best biomedical engineering departments around..check it out!!

Members don't see this ad :)
ok...so i've done a lot of searching through websites, and i know which schools have great biomed engineering programs...and which schools have mstp programs, but what happens if the school doesn't have biomed engineering listed at their mstp site? will they still allow you to pursue it for the phd part? prime example: ucsf v. berkeley - ucsf's site doesn't list biomed engineering as one of their options although i know they have the md/ms program with berkeley...

sorry if this is a trivial question. i know someone must have run into this problem before, and thanks in advance.

Originally posted by strangeattractor
ok...so i've done a lot of searching through websites, and i know which schools have great biomed engineering programs...and which schools have mstp programs, but what happens if the school doesn't have biomed engineering listed at their mstp site? will they still allow you to pursue it for the phd part? prime example: ucsf v. berkeley - ucsf's site doesn't list biomed engineering as one of their options although i know they have the md/ms program with berkeley...

sorry if this is a trivial question. i know someone must have run into this problem before, and thanks in advance.

I imagine this would be a very valid question for the admissions people at particular schools. I would suggest dropping them an email, since I'm sure it's school specific.

Hello everyone, I have been lurking for a while but am coming out of the shadows to post.

I'll be appling to MSTP Biomedical engineering this cominf summer/fall.

As for schools, I have been emailing various programs, and some have no engineering option (UT Southwestern), some have limited (Columbia, since it is a separate college, the Fu Foundation), some have established programs (Wustl), and some have programs that are just getting underway (Stanford, which is *just* accepting its first biomedical engineering grad students this fall). It may be wise to simply go down the list and call up schools - they are very cool about answering email.