PhD prep after graduating MA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Suzanne51

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently in an MA General Psych program and thinking toward the future. I quit my job years ago to hurry through my undergrad (came out with a 3.8 GPA) and went straight into the MA program. Not only am I exhausted from how fast I did all of this (it's only been 4 years in total), but I'm borderline broke and need to return to work for a short while. I'm thinking that, after I graduate, I'll take some time off from school to hopefully get a job in the field and return to school for a PhD in a couple of years.

My question is regarding the research component of an application. I know that this is something looked at heavily by PhD programs, but is there a way to gain this experience after you've completed your degree? I still have a chance to do it while in the MA program, but I'm curious to know what my options are in case I don't (I'm thinking of taking on a paying job instead and just taking the comprehensive exam to graduate).

I definitely plan to get my PhD one day, probably in clinical psychology, but I'm hoping to continue improving my application even while not in school. Please let me know your thoughts/experience on this.

Members don't see this ad.

My question is regarding the research component of an application. I know that this is something looked at heavily by PhD programs, but is there a way to gain this experience after you've completed your degree?

Yes. Start looking now for research coordinator/assistant positions in fields that interest you. The pay may not be great, but you can get the kind of experience that counts when it's time to apply for PhD programs. Jobs may open up in university settings but also look at non-profits, hospitals, medical schools, etc.

You can search indeed.com or other job sites for these positions, but also ask around and find out if your program faculty know of anyone who is looking to hire someone for a few years.