PhD Programs in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First off let me say that I like your attitude and enjoy this thread.

I would not wander into the Heights, that place is scary, it's almost as bad as Brooklyn, which is...holy ****, you literally feel in danger there, even in broad daylight. I'm from St. Louis so I feel like I know when a neighborhood is hostile. The closer you get to the 160's it starts to feel like Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" like I'm getting deeper and deeper into this horrible place and I will not get back out with my sanity intact.

There are no safe pockets at nighttime. Ever been to Chicago? That stuff spills over at night. I'm sorry, but you said Washington Heights and I had to jump on that :D. I took a Subject GRE over there one time and had to walk all the way through it to get back to *erghm* America (I'm joking, don't get all peevish SDN). I just would not want to live in an area where I feel besieged by a surrounding hostile neighborhood.

Can I say DRAMATIC? Many parts of brooklyn are very educated/professional family oriented neightboorhoods that most upper middle-class people can't afford to live in. Have you been to park slope, brooklyn heights, bay ridge etc etc? They are super trendy and have tons of cafes and restaurants. A one bedroom in park slope is like $2500 per month. Please don't generalize and jump to conclusions from one experience you had.

Members don't see this ad.

Can I say DRAMATIC? Many parts of brooklyn are very educated/professional family oriented neightboorhoods that most upper middle-class people can't afford to live in. Have you been to park slope, brooklyn heights, bay ridge etc etc? They are super trendy and have tons of cafes and restaurants. A one bedroom in park slope is like $2500 per month. Please don't generalize and jump to conclusions from one experience you had.

Yes, you absolutely can :p

That's 3 out of app. 80 neighborhoods. Have I been through 80 neighborhoods, of course not, only 2 to my extensive knowledge, and yes bay ridge was one of them and it is nice.Regardless, since this was an opinion-based, rather fatuous post, the general Opinion among people in NYC and people living in Brooklyn is that if you had to say which single borough (massive as Brooklyn is) is the roughest. According to the very reliable source of neighborhoodscout.com
wink.gif
, only app. 25% of homes/apartments are owned and 1/4th of the population lives below poverty level (that's twice the national average and poverty in the city is different than poverty in a rural area). The medium household income is 32k, also pretty sour. However, the Bronx is slightly worse on these data, perhaps that's why there is a THE in front of the Bronx
biggrin.gif

It should be said though that you are not much more likely to get stabbed or rapped in Brooklyn compared to NYC overall, but you are a hell of a lot more likely to get robbed in one form or another. And, unfortunately, thieves likely operate in an area wider than their own backyard.

Crime has decreased in NYC, but these figures are never accurate to begin with. I've had friends who've had cars and laptops stolen and police officers will actually discourage you from filing a report, saying it's not going to do anything. Come on, Giuliani cleaning up NYC? A little-known fact is that New Yorkers hated that dirtbag before 9/11, and they did not really warm up to him that much afterward either.

Yes, you absolutely can :p

Crime has decreased in NYC, but these figures are never accurate to begin with. I've had friends who've had cars and laptops stolen and police officers will actually discourage you from filing a report, saying it's not going to do anything. Come on, Giuliani cleaning up NYC? A little-known fact is that New Yorkers hated that dirtbag before 9/11, and they did not really warm up to him that much afterward either.

Well you may dislike Giuliana, and I certainly have mixed feelings about him myself. But to say New Yorkers as a whole hated him is pretty inaccurate. He did get re-elected and served the maximum number of terms as mayor, despite being a Republican in an intensely Democratic city. It would be more accurate to say that he is a very controversial figure.

Anyway I do have to agree with others that your kind of distorting and exagerating things when it comes to safety levels of different parts of NYC. Yes there are some less nice areas, but they are nowhere nearly as bad or as widespread as you are making them out to be. If you were making these claims back when I was a kid growing up in the city then you'd be a lot more on target!

Members don't see this ad :)
Both the NYC schools I was accepted into (Fordham and John Jay) offer full tuition plus a decent stipend. John Jay (in lower Manhattan) is standard 18k with a 24k scholarship option (which was offered) then Fordham (located in Bronx) offers full tuition, health insurance, and a 18800 stipend (which goes up each year) which sums up to be like 56k or something ridiculous. Also both offer summer funding.

Anyways its NYC! Tons of great externship placements, and well lets face it, its NYC! :)
Sorry I'm kind of jumping into the thread , But I'm looking into getting into a PhD in counseling psychology I'm currently doing my Bachelors in City College but they only offer Clinical Psychology in there PhD program and I'm less interesting in research , I know NYU and Fordham offer those . Do you get considered for Stipends the minute you apply for financial aid to go to these schools or do you have to meet top requirements & how often to you get any financial help during your graduate years.

Ph.D programs in counseling psychology will often be just as focused on research as clinical Ph.D programs.

I have a MS in Mental health counseling and Im a single mom. I really wanted to do my PhD in clinical psychology but it seems that all programs are full time and very involved. I would really appreciate some guidance on how I can go about this.

Thx

Wow. i grew up in Washington Heights and let me tell you its not like it was in the 80s when I moved there. Washington heights is now mostly gentrified, Columbia University has taken over many of the buildings to house the students and faculty and the hispanics of low income are driven out due to the rent hikes, though my mom still lives there and would never move out. There are many many great places to visit and the neighborhoods are no longer dangerous. I work on 168th with Columbia University and the Psychiatric Institute and I can never say I had a bad experience in the neighborhood.

I have a MS in Mental health counseling and Im a single mom. I really wanted to do my PhD in clinical psychology but it seems that all programs are full time and very involved. I would really appreciate some guidance on how I can go about this.

Thx

If you do a search of the forums (involving terms such as "part-time"), you'll see a general consensus that unless an individual is able to commit to full-time study, a doctoral degree is likely going to be unrealistic. I personally don't know of any program that provides a less-than-full-time schedule that has a solid reputation and produces acceptable outcomes (e.g., internship match and EPPP passing rates). Additionally, doctoral study in psych in particular often requires multiple relocations (first for grad school, again for internship, and possibly again for postdoc/employment). Not being open to such relocations places one at a disadvantage essentially throughout the entire process. It's not impossible to make it through without having to leave a particular state, for example, but in an area as popular as NY, it would be very unlikely and very difficult to pull off.

Is this something that might be possible a few years down the line once a full-time program might be a more realistic option?

Actually, NYU's Counseling Psych Phd program allows for part time study. Hopefully this explains their mean graduation time of 9 years or so if I recall correctly. Other than that, I've never seen a program that allows for part-time students.

Given your class, research and externships commitments, part-time study is not likely to be feasible in most NYC programs. I know that many students also have jobs (teaching, working as testing techs, tutoring, research/teaching assistants) to offset the costs of living in NYC, but that is in addition to full-time classwork, research, and practicum.

My classmates and fellow externs with young children were able to balance their home and educational lives, but it took some adjustment and assistance from others in their lives.

this is just not true. i was born an raised in another major city (in the city, not a suburb) and have lived in NYC for my entire adult life. it is fine. there are always people around. dumb@^$ do get their laptops and ipods swiped often, because they are usually not aware of their surroundings and are using them on the subway while zoned out listening to music on headphones. would you have 400-2000 dollars in cash in your hand in public? no body deserves to be robbed, but in any city one needs some common sense.

to clarify, i have lived and worked in the bronx, brooklyn and queens for 15 years and work with the undeserved, not on madison avenue. this is a dirty, but remarkably safe city all considered. i am way more scared in cities that are not new york, because they are less populated. and brooklyn and queens are the best places to live. my partner and i did a 15 mile walk in brooklyn a few weeks ago and didn't go through one bad neighborhood.