phd students entering md/phd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lena20

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any schools which will allow their Phd students to transfer into their Md/Phd program?

Members don't see this ad.

I pmed you.

Sonya said:
I pmed you.

Could you post instead? I'm interested as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
lena20 said:
Does anyone know of any schools which will allow their Phd students to transfer into their Md/Phd program?

I know that WashU does and i'm pretty sure that it's at least theoretically possible at most any school with an mdphd program. wherever you are though, you'll have to apply to the medschool and gain acceptance.

I can tell you that Cornell (MD/PhD program with Rockefeller and Sloan Kettering) DOES NOT let you transfer from PhD to MD/PhD. And I think the other way around (MD to MD/PhD is always easier).

In the worst case scenario, you can finish your PhD and apply to MD (that's what I'm doing :)

Good luck :luck:

Foreigner said:
I can tell you that Cornell (MD/PhD program with Rockefeller and Sloan Kettering) DOES NOT let you transfer from PhD to MD/PhD. And I think the other way around (MD to MD/PhD is always easier).

In the worst case scenario, you can finish your PhD and apply to MD (that's what I'm doing :)

Good luck :luck:

Ditto here. I tried to transfer into MD/PhD at UAB and was told to finish the PhD first. I'm applying to med school now.

Hi:
Could anyone please guide me abt the advantages of doing MD after Phd.I'll really appreciate the help.

thanks

Hi:
So is that MD+Phd =clinicals+Research
and only MD=clinicals, only Phd=Research

Hi:

What are the chances of getting into MD prog, after having done Phd(Radiology) frm country other than US, and doing PDF(neuroscience), with gud no of publications as first and second author.
Still to appear fr MCAT stuff.
Please guide.

Thanks

dentidoc said:
Hi:
So is that MD+Phd =clinicals+Research
and only MD=clinicals, only Phd=Research

Not quite, MD's can do research, even exclusively.

Some PhD's, such as clinical chemistry or clinical microbiology, can be involved in clinical work (although they do so from the lab). Some PharmD's take part in patient care on the wards. Etc.

Thanks fr the infrmn.

Havarti666 said:
Not quite, MD's can do research, even exclusively.

Some PhD's, such as clinical chemistry or clinical microbiology, can be involved in clinical work (although they do so from the lab). Some PharmD's take part in patient care on the wards. Etc.

I agree. MD's can do research, and pretty much any research they want. It goes to extremes, so that Rod McKinnon (MD, no PhD) got his Nobel in Chemistry couple of years ago. You are really not restricted at all, and you can balance patients and research, or choose to do one or the other.

PhD - you can do a lot of research, but you cannot touch a patient. So, even if you are working on immunology in HIV patients - you will receive their blood, and do all sorts of experiments, but you will never see these people.

lena20 said:
I know of several who have tried to 'transfer'. All were unsuccessful. I also know several who were in Ph.D. programs initially but they took the MCAT, reapplied with the regular M.D./Ph.D. applicants, and were admitted. I know one person who was in the M.D. program, but transferred into the M.D./Ph.D. program after year one; this is the easiest route as Ph.D. students have generally not taken the MCAT, but M.D./Ph.D. programs usually only care about the MCAT which all medical students have taken.

Foreigner said:
I agree. MD's can do research, and pretty much any research they want. It goes to extremes, so that Rod McKinnon (MD, no PhD) got his Nobel in Chemistry couple of years ago. You are really not restricted at all, and you can balance patients and research, or choose to do one or the other.

PhD - you can do a lot of research, but you cannot touch a patient. So, even if you are working on immunology in HIV patients - you will receive their blood, and do all sorts of experiments, but you will never see these people.

The following specialties allow Ph.D.'s to work in clinical laboratory medicine (a subspecialty of clinical pathology): medical microbiology, clinical chemistry, diagnostic immunology, and molecular diagnostics. All have board exams. I just finished a clinical chemistry fellowship. You make decisions and provide advice for clinicians based on the laboratory data, the patients's chart, and the clinician's assessment. You do not physically run the laboratory tests. You will carry a pager and 'take call'. You almost never (I say almost because I've first-hand experience of this) interact with patients....you will never lay a finger on them. Once board certified, you can possess a "medical license for non-medical practitioners". This basically gives you malpractice insurance. This is a very dynamic, satisfying career and it will add another 60 grand to your annual salary if you don't mind doing less research (which I did). PM me for more info.

students at vanderbilt have had mixed success... I really do not think I am anyone to represent my school, and thus am reluctant to post this. If anyone is considering applying to a vandy school only b/c it would encourage a transfer, PM me. There was a lot of digging up I did before actually deciding to attend Vandy.
My screen name, is at least, very similar to my real name, and I don't know what I should be saying publically.