PhD thinking of in house MSTP switch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lswat33

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm a short time lurker and I am really nervous about posting, but here it goes!
My oldest mentor growing up was a physician (psychiatry), and so a career in medicine has always been something in the back of my mind. I had a rough go in my first two years of undergrad (lack of maturity) that dissuaded me from the premed track at a NESCAC. My sophomore year, however, I fell in love with the work my adviser was doing in the BNS department, and that convinced me that medical research was a practical way for me to stay in the game, so to speak.

I graduated with a 3.44 (3.51 sGPA) in psychology, and went to HES for post-bacc classes (ochem, biochem, and molecular bio: two A-'s, a B+, and a B respectively) as I applied to a PhD program. I also was working at one of the big Pharma in Cambridge during the time too, which really sold me on translational research- not just doing science for the sake of doing science. I've just started my first year in my PhD program (biomedical sciences), I haven't shadowed, taken the MCAT, or taken physics, but I think I should pursue some volunteering and/or shadowing at the hospital (its a medical university), because I think that while I like science, I would really love the combination of clinical science and translational research.

I am 24 years old, I have extensive UG volunteering in mental health associated clubs and working with under served kid's. I also was a four year varsity swimmer, if that helps any.

Any suggestions for how I should approach my situation? Are there people who I could be talking with about this that could help me frame the process for myself? Am I too late / do I not have the grades? Any advise would be awesome-sauce!
Thanks for any and all criticism / help!

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are below the average MD student, and MD-PhD students are typically a step above that. Additionally, you're approaching it a bit backwards. Typical combined programs involve MD (2 years/coursework), PhD (x years), MD (clinical). So, simply put, it's unlikely they'd let you reorganize your program to enable integration with the normal program. Furthermore, keeping up with your PhD obligations while shadowing, volunteering, taking (other) required courses, and taking the MCAT to make your application complete (let alone competitive) isn't practical.

More generally, you don't need a PhD to do research if you have an MD/DO. You also don't need an MD to do research if you have a PhD (though more clinically focused research may require collaborators).

If you had to do one thing for your career, what would it be? Research or clinical work? If clinical, MD/DO/(maybe another health field?) would be necessary. If research, a PhD could work.

You're in your first year as a graduate student? I'd wait and see what happens in the next year. See what the program is like, find out more about career options. Changing paths (quitting and applying to medical school) is possible -- as is completing a PhD and applying. But if you're already in the program and there's a way to make it work for you, that may make the most sense.

If you're less than 6 months in, I do wonder what changed...

Note: I was in a PhD program and left to pursue medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all! I'm a short time lurker and I am really nervous about posting, but here it goes!
My oldest mentor growing up was a physician (psychiatry), and so a career in medicine has always been something in the back of my mind. I had a rough go in my first two years of undergrad (lack of maturity) that dissuaded me from the premed track at a NESCAC. My sophomore year, however, I fell in love with the work my adviser was doing in the BNS department, and that convinced me that medical research was a practical way for me to stay in the game, so to speak.

I graduated with a 3.44 (3.51 sGPA) in psychology, and went to HES for post-bacc classes (ochem, biochem, and molecular bio: two A-'s, a B+, and a B respectively) as I applied to a PhD program. I also was working at one of the big Pharma in Cambridge during the time too, which really sold me on translational research- not just doing science for the sake of doing science. I've just started my first year in my PhD program (biomedical sciences), I haven't shadowed, taken the MCAT, or taken physics, but I think I should pursue some volunteering and/or shadowing at the hospital (its a medical university), because I think that while I like science, I would really love the combination of clinical science and translational research.

I am 24 years old, I have extensive UG volunteering in mental health associated clubs and working with under served kid's. I also was a four year varsity swimmer, if that helps any.

Any suggestions for how I should approach my situation? Are there people who I could be talking with about this that could help me frame the process for myself? Am I too late / do I not have the grades? Any advise would be awesome-sauce!
Thanks for any and all criticism / help!

Being a swimmer does help! Some schools really value people who can balance sports and academics.

I agree with Goro and NonTrad, especially about grades and specs. You could improve a lot by getting a stellar MCAT.

Now for my biased and personal input. I did the PhD first. While interviewing for PhD programs, I met MD-PhD applicants who were also interviewing. That was one of my first exposures to the MD-PhD route. During the first two years of my PhD, I searched for a pathway to get to the MD/PhD to no avail. It was not possible at my institution. I finished my PhD, partly because I loved my research, and then explored the MD route. Now I am paying for the MD.

Looking back (hindsight = 20/20), I probably should have explored the MD/PhD route earlier and more thoroughly. If I had, I may have dropped out of the application process for the PhD and spent a year prepping for a MD/PhD application. I would be in less debt and I would be younger. I may have not been as good of a candidate though and may not have been eligible for the MD/PhD. If that had been the case, I perhaps could have entered the MD/PhD process at my MD school because that route is a lot easier.

So, my advice is to spend the time now to research your options! You could do the MD later after your PhD, or you could drop out now and apply to MD/PhD programs next year, or you could pick one degree and stick with it, the MD or PhD. Any of those choices would be reasonable. Both degrees will allow you to do translational research. But you can't touch patients without an MD. Further, I've yet to find someone leading clinical research without an MD. Think deeply about why the MD is necessary since it is the path of most resistance at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
You're 24. Finish your PhD and in the mean time get some of the pre-reqs out of the way.

As a PhD you would be very competitive for medical school especially as if your interest are in splitting your time between the clinic and lab. Even with a below average GPA and even if you are not so hot on the MCAT, finishing a PhD shows a lot. Dedication, grit, tenacity, coping skills, dealing with failure, ability to think critically through projects, independence, etc. Some schools (adcoms) value this some don't but those that value it will extend an offer.

Just make sure to get a few publications otherwise it will look like you didn't perform well as a PhD and are now switching tracks.

Plenty of time :)

Last edited by a moderator: