PhD to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kerouac170

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first year PhD biomedical student at Washington University. I was strongly debating going to medical school right away, but I have a desire for research and I was misinformed as an undergrad that I needed a phd to be an effective researcher (I would like to do clinical research, also seeing patients).The program in which I am currently enrolled is through the medical school and thus, we have access to certain classes for med students (ex. neuroanatomy). Would these classes transfer to any US medical schools upon matriculation? I considered just stopping short in my phd education to start medical school but I have yet to take the MCAT (I plan on taking it this summer) and by the time I took it and applied to medical schools, I would theoretically only have about 2-3 years left for my PhD work, so I decided I would just be patient. If you have any advice, in general or on any particular medical schools that I might look into which transfer credits relatively "easily", I would be very grateful.

Members don't see this ad.

kerouac170 said:
I am a first year PhD biomedical student at Washington University. I was strongly debating going to medical school right away, but I have a desire for research and I was misinformed as an undergrad that I needed a phd to be an effective researcher (I would like to do clinical research, also seeing patients).The program in which I am currently enrolled is through the medical school and thus, we have access to certain classes for med students (ex. neuroanatomy). Would these classes transfer to any US medical schools upon matriculation? I considered just stopping short in my phd education to start medical school but I have yet to take the MCAT (I plan on taking it this summer) and by the time I took it and applied to medical schools, I would theoretically only have about 2-3 years left for my PhD work, so I decided I would just be patient. If you have any advice, in general or on any particular medical schools that I might look into which transfer credits relatively "easily", I would be very grateful.
I also got a PhD before I went to medical school.

I wouldn't say you were "misinformed". I think that whether you need and MD or an MD/PhD depends on what you want to do and on what interests you have.

No classes will transfer from your PhD program to any medical school. There might be a rare exception out there, but I doubt it. (In the past, some MD programs gave credit to certain PhD graduates. I think Duke was the last program to do this. But I'm pretty sure this does not exist anymore.)

It will likely take you 2 years to get into medical school. So, if you take the Aug '05 MCAT, and apply in June '06, you'll start Sept '07. In this time, you should have all of your PhD courses completed and be well into your research. You might be able to complete your PhD research "long-distance" while in medical school and graduate with both degrees. A classmate of mine did this.

As long as you know and can explain why you want to go to medical school and be a physician, go for it.

I am a 9 year MSTP survivor from Wash U. I used to talk MSTP interviewees and lower-level MSTPers out of doing MSTP. Those were the days!! Of course, they stopped asking me to take interviewees out to dinner......I would simply impress upon them that if they truly want to be physicians, there is no need to waste an additional 4-7 years of life training as a Ph.D. On the other hand, if you really want to be a scientist, there is no need to waste years of time in medical school and residency. Many listened and made the appropriate choices. The "hot apple pie in the sky" ones like me didn't listen and wound up as 8-9 year MSTPs wishing they had listened.

Ah, the foibles of youth....

looking back, do you feel there is any way you could have gotten out of the phd program sooner? (i.e. in general choosing an MD as a PI over a PhD, etc)