PhD while in Ortho Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surgeon's Cuffs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Since there are some residencies that let you get additional degrees while in training, I was wondering if there are programs that let you do a PhD while doing residency. I know that sounds ridiculous. Just really into biomaterials and mechanics research and if I did ortho I’d want to get a PhD to have the experience and credibility to do the physician/scientist thing while an attending. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. Since there are some residencies that let you get additional degrees while in training, I was wondering if there are programs that let you do a PhD while doing residency. I know that sounds ridiculous. Just really into biomaterials and mechanics research and if I did ortho I’d want to get a PhD to have the experience and credibility to do the physician/scientist thing while an attending. Thanks!
Not while in residency. You will be so busy you will be lucky to have time to eat and sleep, let alone do a PhD.

Reactions: 2 users

Wake Forest (as far as I know) is the only PSTP Ortho program. Worth a look if research is your thing. They have had multiple residents get their PhD during residency. Most other places with a research track ain't gonna let you slip away for 3 years to get a PhD. 1, 2 years, tops.