(PhD with postdoctoral and biotech experience) To become a physician scientist

Started by traxx1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

traxx1

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, Thanks for taking your time and reading my post. I am new here and would like to get some advice.


I was preparing for MBA. But I always had a love for research...so now I am thinking of being a physician scientist.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is my background:
-42YO Asian male (US permanent resident).
-Education:
2001 BS Biomedical science (outside the US)
2007 PhD Pharmacology and neuroscience (US)
-ECs:
Postdoctoral Fellow + Research specialist (US)
Senior scientist (Biotech, outside the US)
Group fitness instructor (2 years, US)
7 publications / more than 10 conferences (oral/poster presentations)/ more than 10 invited talks
Project management of the preclical drug development programs
-GPAs:
Undergraduate 3.37/4.5
Graduate 3.32/4.0
-Letters:
Well respected professor (my mentor, MD/PhD)/Well respected professor (PhD)/
Graduate school mentor (PhD)
-Score(s):
MCAT(s)_Not taken, GRE(s)_Not taken

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to know how to prepare for the Med school applications
Thank you so much in advance.
 
Hi, Thanks for taking your time and reading my post. I am new here and would like to get some advice.


I was preparing for MBA. But I always had a love for research...so now I am thinking of being a physician scientist.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is my background:
-42YO Asian male (US permanent resident).
-Education:
2001 BS Biomedical science (outside the US)
2007 PhD Pharmacology and neuroscience (US)
-ECs:
Postdoctoral Fellow + Research specialist (US)
Senior scientist (Biotech, outside the US)
Group fitness instructor (2 years, US)
7 publications / more than 10 conferences (oral/poster presentations)/ more than 10 invited talks
Project management of the preclical drug development programs
-GPAs:
Undergraduate 3.37/4.5
Graduate 3.32/4.0
-Letters:
Well respected professor (my mentor, MD/PhD)/Well respected professor (PhD)/
Graduate school mentor (PhD)
-Score(s):
MCAT(s)_Not taken, GRE(s)_Not taken

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to know how to prepare for the Med school applications
Thank you so much in advance.
You need to start shadowing doctors, volunteering with patients, and also engaging in non-clinical volunteering.
Your foreign BS might not count for US med schools.
GRE is not needed. MCAT is.
Your graduate GPAs will not be counted by MD schools, but will by DO.
Your UG GPA is not very competitive for MD.

Read this:
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition by Walter Hartwig

ISBN-13: 978-1607140627

ISBN-10: 1607140624
 
Hi there,
I also did a PhD and short postdoc prior to med school so I thought I'd share a few thoughts (feel free to PM me). I agree with everything Goro says above. You still need to do all the things (shadowing, volunteering, etc.) even though you have an exceptional research background. Also, work on describing your commitment to medicine. I realize you wouldn't say "I was preparing for an MBA...and now thinking about becoming a physician-scientist" in an interview, but even beyond that you have to be able to show your passion for this major undertaking in actions, writing, and in person. For example, a number of my classmates care deeply about working with the underserved. What do you care about so much that the sacrifices will be worth it?
Speaking of which (and you may be in a different boat because of your years in biotech) but this is an expensive path. I never earned very much during grad school or as a postdoc. Even with a little scholarship from my med school and a spouse who works full-time, things are tight financially for the foreseeable future. To be honest, sometimes it makes be anxious (especially because the specialty I'm most interested in doesn't pay as much) but then I remind myself that I chose this and that we have enough for the basic necessities.
Beware this is not a casual pursuit, but if this is what your deeply want it is possible to get there.
Good luck!