PhD'er seeks advice about pursuing MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medical Whore

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

First of all, this is a great forum and I'm glad to have found it. I've read many posts and you guys have given great advice. I'm hoping you can do the same for me.

I come to you seeking advice regarding my desire to become a physician-scientist. I'm currently a first year PhD student at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. The first year has been going great and am glad that I chose to come to a health center as great as Umich. However, recently I have been feeling increasingly unsure of my decision to pursue a career in strictly the sciences. In the past, I have flirted with the idea of pursuing a career in medicine but was never serious about it, because I was just another dolt drifting through college who wasn't sure of his future plans. Fortunately, I had a couple of great experiences in several biomedical research labs and that is utlimately what brought me here. But in the first year already, I've been feeling more and more of a disconnect between my studies and the patients. This has been intensified by the fact that both PIs I have rotated under thus far are physician-scientists who I've shadowed multiple times. Needless to say, my shadowing experiences have only augmented my desire to pursue a career in medicine on top of science. Lastly, MSTP students I've rotated with or interact with seem to have a leg up on the material and just a broader knowledge base that I could not get otherwise without medical school. I will admit that I am envious that this profession allows you to do it all and the path that I've opted to travel down won't allow me to. Please don't mistake me, I love the field I'm in now, but I feel as though I am selling myself short by keeping strictly to the sciences.

Now that the time to where I have to commit to a thesis lab is fast approaching, I've become increasingly weary because I don't want to ruffle any more feathers than I have to in order to make this career shift. I'm applying for the MSTP program here in the upcoming application period, but being such a competitive program and me having sub-avg GPA (3.2 bioengineering) and MCAT scores (33R - PS 13, VR 7, BS 13), I have to prepare (and almost expect) that I won't get in. This, of course, leaves other programs as alternatives. But should I even bother applying to other MSTP programs where I stand a better chance of gaining admission? Would they even accept a person who is already in a graduate program? Should I just leave with a terminal-masters and go from there? Should I just accept my decision to come here and finish grad school and leave medical school for afterwards? Fortunately, on top of many years of research, I have also done many hours of volunteer work and am now mentoring students at a local Teen Center. It's been tough juggling everything, but I've managed all in preparation for this grand shift. The question I have been struggling with is what is the best way of making this career shift? I don't know. My mind has been running in circles and has exhausted itself out. I hope that I can get some sound advice from you guys. If you do give advice, please focus on the how and not so much as the why. Thanks so much in advance.

- Medical *****

Members don't see this ad.

Medical ***** said:
Now that the time to where I have to commit to a thesis lab is fast approaching, I've become increasingly weary because I don't want to ruffle any more feathers than I have to in order to make this career shift. I'm applying for the MSTP program here in the upcoming application period, but being such a competitive program and me having sub-avg GPA (3.2 bioengineering) and MCAT scores (33R - PS 13, VR 7, BS 13), I have to prepare (and almost expect) that I won't get in. This, of course, leaves other programs as alternatives. But should I even bother applying to other MSTP programs where I stand a better chance of gaining admission? Would they even accept a person who is already in a graduate program? Should I just leave with a terminal-masters and go from there? Should I just accept my decision to come here and finish grad school and leave medical school for afterwards? Fortunately, on top of many years of research, I have also done many hours of volunteer work and am now mentoring students at a local Teen Center. It's been tough juggling everything, but I've managed all in preparation for this grand shift. The question I have been struggling with is what is the best way of making this career shift? I don't know. My mind has been running in circles and has exhausted itself out. I hope that I can get some sound advice from you guys. If you do give advice, please focus on the how and not so much as the why. Thanks so much in advance.

- Medical *****

I think a year ago, I was in a very similar situation to you, so I will give you my story in case it helps you at all:

I decided that I wanted to pursue an MSTP my last semester of undergraduate (also in engineering). I had already accepted a PhD position in the same lab I worked in as an UG. I spoke to my advisor and committee members concerning my goal of eventually going to medical school, and while they did not understand the reason, they supported me. What I decided to do was mentally plan on graduating in two years with a MS (with defended thesis), while staying current in my PhD program (that is, finishing 75% of classes, taking the quals, etc) so I could receive the full stipend, and teach the upper level classes. I took the MCAT after my first year, and did decent (similar to yours). I applied to about 18 schools, received 7 interviews, and have been accepted to three, and I am still waiting on the other four. But I was skeptical of getting in my first year, so I had a backup plan: After my second year (which I am finishing now), I would be essentially finished with all my MS requirements, so I could defend whenever. However, I would still take classes, teach, and work on various research projects so I could get a decent paycheck each month and continue to publish, all with the support of my advisors, and I was planning on retaking the MCAT (which you should consider due to the lower UG GPA).

In regards to some of your specific questions, I think that coming in with a graduate degree helped my chances, for this was the opinion of several people I spoke with at the interviews. Also, I would plan on applying to several schools. I did not apply to UMich because I assumed it was a bit outta my league, but you might have a chance coming from the inside. I'm sure Andy could offer some advice about that here.

I would suggest you go for it, but leave your options open. The plan I had seemed fool-proof in that I could get my masters or PhD if I did not get into the MSTP. If you have these options available to you, I would pursue them. But, in general, MSTP positions are not open for students already with a PhD. Otherwise, the best of luck to you.

What's up! I'm a 3rd year MSTP here at UofM. PM me and we can talk. Don't entirely give up on getting in here, though it might be an uphill battle. If you are *really* set on MSTP, you might consider getting a masters, especially if you have a good Grad GPA and then reapply. It would be an equivalent to taking 2 years off, but some of the grad classes will transfer and you will have a step up on other people as far as research, so it would really be more like a year off. Seriously, though, really spend some more time think about your decision. I know a LOT of MSTPs who wind up just running a lab and then the 4 years of med school is somewhat a waste. Sure MSTPs seem to have a broader knowledge base, but they are also generally smarter than an average grad student (there are some exceptions, myself included)... Anyway, good luck.