PhDsss

Started by Noosh
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Noosh

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone... does anyone know or is thinking of doing a PhD first when coming to the U.S as a foreign medical graduate...
What are the pros and cons.. Does it help you get a very competitive residency in Pathology if u take a PhD in it???
I would reaaalllly appreciate a reply Doctors!
thanks
 
Noosh said:
Hey everyone... does anyone know or is thinking of doing a PhD first when coming to the U.S as a foreign medical graduate...
What are the pros and cons.. Does it help you get a very competitive residency in Pathology if u take a PhD in it???
I would reaaalllly appreciate a reply Doctors!
thanks

I think your USMLE scores will probably be a bigger player than a PhD degree. We have a post-doc in the same position that you are in, and didn't get into the residency programs (internal medicine, and pathology) at our hospital. Over here at UCD, I think took in 3 new pathology residents this year, so its quite competative, and I don't recall any of them having any graduate degree, therefore cannot really say that a MS, or PhD helps that much.

Of course this is just one incident, and may just be a fluke. Maybe others can provide more ensight. Good luck!
 
Thanks for your reply i appreciate it..
it seems quite hard to figure out what helps an application and what doesn't.. ! 😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
See the thread in the pathology forum.

A Ph.D. may help you get into a more competitive program, but is not required and the slight edge it may give you is not worth the years of effort.
 
Noosh,

My advice would be to NOT get a Ph.D. in the USA to make yourself more competitive for a residency program. A Ph.D. in the US, on average, takes much longer to get than an MD. Average time for a Ph.D. is now 5-8 years of graduate school (compared with only 4 years for an MD). The Ph.D. is grueling too. My Ph.D. thesis was 200 pages long (and that's just the average). At the University of Wisconsin-Madison (where I did my Ph.D.), we had 2 years of classes. On top of it, you have to write manuscripts and publish original research (which is a whole different ballgame than simply studying from a textbook). A Ph.D. with publications and a strong research background will almost certainly make you very competitive for a residency program because of the academic rigor of the process and the novel contributions you would be making to your field. However, unless you are very serious, a Ph.D. is likely not worth 6 years of your time unless you truly want to do research.
 
Noosh said:
Hey everyone... does anyone know or is thinking of doing a PhD first when coming to the U.S as a foreign medical graduate...
What are the pros and cons.. Does it help you get a very competitive residency in Pathology if u take a PhD in it???
I would reaaalllly appreciate a reply Doctors!
thanks
The PhD is really geared towards a different career/tool set than what most residents go through. Try a search on PubMed for the words "residency selection factors" or something similar. I got 44 hits on a number of different specialities. I didn't look to see if path was included, but I'm sure that you'd be able to infer across many fields what is desirable in a resident.