Phenobarbital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VA Hopeful Dr

Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A question for my neurology colleagues. I'm a family doctor who just inherited a patient with epilepsy whose seizures are managed with phenobarbital. I've started her on Keppra with the hope of titrating her off of the phenobarb in 1 month but I have no idea what the safe method for doing that is. Does anyone here have a decent reference to help me out with this?

Members don't see this ad.

A question for my neurology colleagues. I'm a family doctor who just inherited a patient with epilepsy whose seizures are managed with phenobarbital. I've started her on Keppra with the hope of titrating her off of the phenobarb in 1 month but I have no idea what the safe method for doing that is. Does anyone here have a decent reference to help me out with this?

The patient may be doing just fine with the current regimen. I've learned the hard way that my idea of perfection can end up being worse than the current good.

The patient may be doing just fine with the current regimen. I've learned the hard way that my idea of perfection can end up being worse than the current good.
She doesn't really like it, and I've literally never prescribed it and don't really feel comfortable monitoring it - and cash pay so no neurologist will see her

Have you considered referring her to a university clinic? Why no Obama care health insurance? In Ohio, larger medical centers offer HCAPS for patients who have too much income to qualify for Medicaid. Patients in HCAPS receive discounted care.