phenomenal letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realruby2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I Just finished an away rotation at a community program. phenomenal experience. I had the opportunity to work with a great em doc who agreed to write me a stellar letter. He's written 3/3 times i've worked with him that I'm working at the level of an intern ( on shift evals). In our conversation he mentioned that since he isnt "well known", he isnt sure how much weight his letter would hold, even if it is a stellar letter.

What do some of you guys think? Should I still pursue it? As residesnts/attendings on an admission's panel, how much or how serious would you consider a LOR if it's from an EP who's not really well known but writes a great LOR?

Members don't see this ad.

if nothing else, wont hurt. You might oughta get a letter from an academic place, too. The way I see it, if you get at least a solid/good letter from the academic spot, the community EP letter will make you look that much better. If your letter from academia says "lazy and evil" then the community letter looks fluffy.
Admittedly, Im in my first EM year and havent had anything to do with the application process from the residency side.

I think Kung-fu is right on. It can only help and a solid letter from an academic program will help more. If you can, make sure he mentions specifics (certain situations/patient encounters) that make you stand out.