Phi Kappa Phi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paramour

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know some of these honor societies are a bit, um, pointless(?) and simply want your hard-earned money. Anyone a member of Phi Kappa Phi and think it's actually worth the membership fee? I hear conflicting thoughts on the matter.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't join that one, but I joined those other two-- Golden Key and National Society of Collegiate Scholars. I'm not really sure if they're worth it. My guess is no. Certainly not if you're already accepted to grad school (although I do still list GK and NSCS on my vita as a 3rd year grad student). The one nice thing about Golden Key is that GEICO gives me a discount for being a member. It's something like $20 off every 6 months, so I've paid back my membership fee just on that!

I once knew someone who got an invitation to Phi Beta Kappa, and thought it was one of those "pay us $50 to put us on your vita" things that didn't really mean anything, so she threw it away! :laugh:

I was in one of those...I think phi kappa phi, for a while but I think my membership ran out. I don't think they really mean anything. grad schools can see from your grades if you're in the top 5% academically or whatever. I did get a free subscription to the wallstreet journal out of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
What exactly is Phi Beta Kappa, and how does one get accepted to it?

I was the only one of my psych major friends that did not get in, including some people with a lower GPA than me. I asked around and everyone told me what a big deal it was to get in, but no one (including the Phi Beta Kappa director) had any idea why I never got invited to join.

I mean, I doubt its the sort of thing that would matter once I have a graduate degree, so I don't REALLY care, I've just always wondered why they didn't like me;)

Phi Kappa Phi is a national honor society, allegedly the "nation's oldest, largest, and most selective all-discipline honor society", whereas Phi Beta Kappa is the eldest of all honor societies, but it only applies to liberal arts. And, of course, not all univiersities have Phi Beta Kappa (mine doesn't!), but then again, not all have Phi Kappa Phi either.

Phi Kappa Phi's national site indicates the top 10% of seniors & top 7.5% of juniors are invited, along with the top 10% of graduate students. However, local chapters can have more stringent requirements. For example, my university only invites the top 5% of juniors (vs. 7.5%) and "outstanding" graduate students determined by who knows what (or who!). I believe they (local chapter) look at some other criteria but unsure what they really are, other than nomination by faculty. Phi Beta Kappa's nominate the top 10% of undergrads, although once again, chapters may have more stringent requirements or other criteria to meet on top of this.

What exactly is Phi Beta Kappa, and how does one get accepted to it?

I was the only one of my psych major friends that did not get in, including some people with a lower GPA than me. I asked around and everyone told me what a big deal it was to get in, but no one (including the Phi Beta Kappa director) had any idea why I never got invited to join.

I mean, I doubt its the sort of thing that would matter once I have a graduate degree, so I don't REALLY care, I've just always wondered why they didn't like me;)

Ollie: I have the same situation. One of my letter-writers asked me what my GPA was and when I told him, he asked if I was in Phi Beta Kappa. I felt dumb: I didn't even know what it was! The undergraduate advisor said that I should've been invited last spring, and with my GPA she didn't know why I wasn't. She also said that if I wasn't invited this spring, I should let her know and she has a contact at the organization that would rectify the oversight. Apparently, it's a big feather in your cap, and you should join if invited. I have no idea what the costs are, however.

Maybe I'm just being naive, but every time I've been invited to "accept" (with a fee) my nomination into one of these organizations, I have not done so. I just assumed that any society in which you have to pay to be a member is not really an "honor" or recognition of my achievements, it's more of a money-making venture on the organization's part. Am I wrong about this??

The fee to join Phi Beta Kappa is $90...but its the fee for lifetime membership. Plus you get a Phi Beta Kappa magazine (monthly I think) for life. So at least you are getting something for your $$$.

Maybe check out if they have a website, what benefits they can list? Or you can do a scholarship search and use them as one of the criteria and see if it comes up with anything. I joined one of those groups before, only because the membership fee was really cheap, but it has been pretty useless I think. It was Sigma Alpha Lambda, and I heard nothing really the whole time after joining it, but now apparently there was a chapter at my school and I just started getting emails from the "chapter president" about activities now that I am done at that school. If you do join, I think schools only look at those things if you hold a leadership position in your chapter, can show that you have organized relevant activities, etc.