Philippines medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Belbarakaz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys

i am looking for a med school which when i graduate i obtain an MD degree
and i came through a website that says that med schools in the Philippines give an MD degree since they follow an american curriculum and they train for USMLE and people can enroll from high school to enter the 5.5 years program and obtain an MD.

BUT isnt the MD program 4 years after u get a bachelor degree and are graduates allowed to do their residency in the USA and is it accredited and if it gives MD , whats the tuition fee , and what are the best med schools in the country and what exam do they need to enter med schools in the philippines and how affordable is living there.

thanks
see ya :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hey guys

and i came through a website that says that med schools in the Philippines give an MD degree since they follow an american curriculum and they train for USMLE and people can enroll from high school to enter the 5.5 years program and obtain an MD.

BUT isnt the MD program 4 years after u get a bachelor degree and are graduates allowed to do their residency in the USA and is it accredited and if it gives MD , whats the tuition fee , and what are the best med schools in the country and what exam do they need to enter med schools in the philippines and how affordable is living there.

-they dont follow the medical curriculum of the US..if anything, it's only the schedule..and that only applies to fatima, coz they start september and end on june.

thanks
see ya :)

-they dont prepare you for the usmle..you do that on your own.

-that 5.5 year program youre talking about was in baguio, but word is, it's gone...and plus some states didnt like that curriculum so even if it still existed, youd have a hard time getting a job there.

-and you need to take the nmat..it's the PI's version of the mcat

-as far as your other questions..i suggest you browse on the past threads. im sure those questions have been answered already.

oh..andthey dont follow US curriculum in terms of classes...the only thing they do follow is the schedule..and which only applies to fatima..they start september and end on june.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Fatima prepare you for the USMLE?

sucks... is that why people take USMLE after they graduate?

yeah..but some take it after theyre second year..they take a semester off.

don't you have to pass the USMLE step 1 for you to do rotation in the States?

say that you don't pass the USMLE then can you just finish your 4th year in the philippines? if yes, what are the pros and cons?

now im no expert, but

pros:

you get more hands on experience, you get to experience some stuff you wouldnt see in the states, you learn to be resourceful, and yeah..hopefully others chime in

cons:

when applying for residency, theyll notice that havent had any US clinical experience.

if you don't do your clincial experience in the US how much of a disadvantage is that? do you must need a LOR from the US doctor?

Take it second year - usmle trust me...

Do some clinicals in the US - for LOR and USCE

Do others in Phil - better hands on experience...

prepare yourself to study for both your regular med exams and USMLE. discipline and time management

=)

GL and visit school if interested

hey guys

The Philippine Medical Schools does not follow the American curriculum. The Philippine Med schools are mostly designed to produce physicians in the PI and not to other countries, hence, there would be no reason to follow another country's curriculum. In order for you to successfully obtain residency in the US the medical school you plan to attend must be accredited through a formal process that uses criteria comparable to those established for U.S. medical schools. Just google ECFMG and it'll give you a list of accredited schools in your country.

Also there are no 5.5 years MD program. There's 6 from DLSU-M and 7 from DLSU-D. But if I'm not mistaken, DLSU-M is not accredited by the US.