Philippines or the Carribean???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhilAm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I find myself in a little dilema. (although it's not a bad dilema to be in) I'm torn to which school I should attend this year? I have already been accepted to Ross University (just found out after my arrival to the PI from the US) and still awaiting to hear from St. George's, however due to the different academic calenders I am already in the Philippines going through orientation at the University of the Philippines. I'm a US citizen and ultimately my goal is to find my way back to the US to do surgery. In either route, I know I'll still be considered a Foreign Graduate but would my chances of getting into a residency of my choice be better coming from the Carribean where I essentially do my 3/4th year here in the States?
Is having that US expereince THAT much of an advantage?
How many UP graduates (or rather ay Philippine Medical grad) have made it to the states with their residency of choice and how difficult is the transition to come over?
Finally, since the timeline of the academic calendar is different, how does that affect Philippine grads?

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

PhilAm said:
Hello All,

I find myself in a little dilema. (although it's not a bad dilema to be in) I'm torn to which school I should attend this year? I have already been accepted to Ross University (just found out after my arrival to the PI from the US) and still awaiting to hear from St. George's, however due to the different academic calenders I am already in the Philippines going through orientation at the University of the Philippines. I'm a US citizen and ultimately my goal is to find my way back to the US to do surgery. In either route, I know I'll still be considered a Foreign Graduate but would my chances of getting into a residency of my choice be better coming from the Carribean where I essentially do my 3/4th year here in the States?
How many UP graduates (or rather ay Philippine Medical grad) have made it to the states with their residency of choice and how difficult is the transition to come over?
Finally, since the timeline of the academic calendar is different, how does that affect Philippine grads?

Thanks for any input.

If you will not consider any residency other than Surgery, you will have a slight advantage if you graduate from the Caribbean. Letters of recommendation from US professors/attendings have greater weight. On the other hand there's not a lot Caribbean grads who matched in Surgery and I know a few who matched in Surgery from U.P.
You will still be an IMG regardless and UP grads usually can get accepted in non-surgical specialties. In the early 90's there are batches where half to 2/3 of their class are practicing in the States. Lately, the trend is about 1/3 as the gov't and the school is trying to convince them to stay in the Philippines to serve their country. The transition is not that difficult as you will encounter far more "difficult period" during your stay in U.P.
The difference in academic calendar means you have to take your USMLE's after your graduation in April, then apply for residencies while taking the exams (or immediately after). If you can do all of these during the year of your graduation, you can probably match the next year (March) and start residency in July. It's a more difficult path schedule-wise but doable.

The carribean schools will definitely give you more US clinical experience and the potential for US letters of recommendation. Both of these are essential. Many programs screen applicants for US experience. Also you will probably have more research opportunity which always helps your applications. The academic calendar matches the US application process for the match, so if all goes well, you will graduate then go directly to residency.

As far as medical school in the Philippines, there is potential to get 6-9 months of clerkship in the US. I am not sure if UP students are allowed to do clerkships outside of PGH though. the academic calendars are off though, some grads will then start residency within the year of graduation, but most within 2 years of graduation.

If you are of the mindset that it is surgery or bust, I would probably give the carribean a slight advantage. But this will be a much more expensive route. If you are a less committed to surgery, there are some medical specialties i.e. (cards, GI) whose salaries are close to that of a general surgeon. The Philippine route, should you succeed, will probably put you into better financial shape in the end. But money isn't everything.

Tough decision though... good luck to you

Members don't see this ad :)
the other major question you must ask is where do you want to practice because you'll need to make sure your school meets the requirements in order to work in that state if not you might windup working somewhere you would rather not.

JohnB79 said:
the other major question you must ask is where do you want to practice because you'll need to make sure your school meets the requirements in order to work in that state if not you might windup working somewhere you would rather not.
UP is recognized in 50 states. California is one of the strictest in licensing but both Ross and SGU are recognized. However, I would say that Philam has a better chance of getting into a Surgery program graduating from Ross or SGU. Just look at all their matches every year.

PhilAm said:
Hello All,

Thanks for any input.
So what did you finally decide?

RAD11 said:
So what did you finally decide?

So in the end, this what I decided

I'm Leaving the Philippines and heading down to the Caribbean.

Now it's jsut a matter of which school out of the Big 3 I will attend so you may see more posts and threads coming from me.

The reason I decided to go to the Caribbean over the Philippines is that I thought that by going to one of the Big 3, more opportunities would be available. From what I gather, St. Geroge has a bigger and better network of affiliations and such so I am tentatively leaning that way.

Thanks to all for all your help. It really helped out.

I'll make a post of the deatils of what I learned thru this process when I make it back home.

Good Luck. I met a lot of St. George's students and they seem to have good access/network to a lot of good hospitals.