Philly GPR

Started by phillygal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am an attending at Einstein (not weekly faculty at this time; several times a 'semester') so I am biased but also have deep knowledge of the GPR program. I was a resident there myself as well.

Einstein is a strong and vibrant program. It is well-rounded in that oral surgery, periodontics, endodontics and especially implant dentistry are all covered didactically and there is clinical experience in these areas as well. By implants I mean surgery and restoration. As an example, one two-year resident recently placed north of fifty implants in her time there.

In addition to the GPR, Einstein has endodontic and orthodontic residencies--two of the finest in the nation. Thus, there is constant exchange of ideas between these specialties and the GPR residents; it's just a walk down the hall to have instant access to residents and attendings. (Also worthy of note: the endo and ortho residents are paid as hospital residents, instead of paying exorbitant tuition to specialty programs in dental schools.)

There is OR experience and there are out-of-dental-realm hospital rotations. Einstein is a one-year GPR for about 6 residents, and there are 2 positions for second-year chief residents.

One important point--residents who attend the Einstein GPR will work hard. In my time there I worked hard and loved every minute of it; I do perceive that the workload is much increased over the years. If you want to pack a lot of learning into a dense, challenging year, then this is a fine place to do it.

Phillygal, feel free to PM me with detailed questions or if you want to see the place before formal interviews; I can arrange that.
 
Hello Dr. @DentinBond, I have one question since next year I would like to apply to Albert Einstein Medical Center GPR. What's the experience of this program with international applicants?
 
I have a very close friend from dental school, who recently started as a part time attending for this GPR. He summed up the program very simply: it has its flaws like any program but the residents get a lot of clinical experience in all aspects of dentistry. He plans on continuing to work there part time. Personally, the friend/colleague I am talking about (without mentioning his name) is one of the best clinicians I know and works there one day a week (his day off) because he enjoys teaching and the environment this program fosters. That is a good indication about the program.