philly info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShrubbyDoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,

i have a question for all you philly people out there. I have to move out to philly for my third year b/c the hospital that I have been assigned to do my third year clerkships is in Darby, PA... so the problem is that I am not from philly... actually have never even been there... so I need help finding a place to live.... Any suggestions on areas to live would be great! what are some safe and happening areas that are around Darby, PA???

Members don't see this ad.

If you are spending all your time doing rotations in Darby, you do not want to live in Philly. Is the hospital part of Mercy Catholic Health System? Did you call them and ask them for ideas? I am not too familiar with the Darby area, sorry.

raptor5,

yeah, it is part of mercy catholic med center. I actually did call them and they did give me some ideas but I am looking for some more ideas/info. I'm making a trip out there after my COMLEX this week to find a place to live... Well if anyone has any ideas... please post :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am looking to do a rotation at Einstein in Philly...for a month...

Any housing advice???

Yosh said:
I am looking to do a rotation at Einstein in Philly...for a month...

Any housing advice???

If you have a chance, contact the PCOM Student Affairs office, they have a list of housing rented by the month for rotating students.

I called them today....THANKS!

Looking for safe AND happening? Well, I think if you want to live somewhere "happening", you'll have to move to the city - Art Museum area, Old City, Queen Villiage, anywhere in center city, really. Your commute would stink, though, and you'll spend more money. A lot of the med students in philly live in East Falls. If you want to be closer to your rotation, and live in a safe place, live in the burbs. Springfield, Landsdowne and Media would be close. Narberth, Ardmore and Bryn Mawr would be further away, but nice.

Well I went down to philly this past week and found couple of places in university city. But my question is do med students live around this area at all or is it mainly undergrads that live around there???
Also where is East Falls... I didn't hear about that area at all when I was down there?? Thanks for all the info! :)

I actually live in univ city. I think a handful of people from my school live here, but most people live in east falls or center city.

Undergrads usually stay east of 42nd street, for the most part. They are densely packed between penn and 42nd, though. Graduate students, families, penn faculty and staff, and various other people live from about 43rd to 48th. The neighborhood is not without its flaws, but it would be really convenient to fitz mercy - maybe 10-15 minutes. I personally like to think of it as "up and coming."

one more thing. east falls is east of the schuylkill river, northwest of center city. it is near manayunk, a popular area for shopping and bars. it is the neighborhood that drexel med is in.