Philly Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parmed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I just wanted to start a thread comparing/discussing the philly programs: penn, jeff, temple. I went to them all and plan to rank them all, but since my interviews were a while ago, I thought it would be nice to refresh myself with other peoples' opinions. I'm especially concerned with the following characteristics:
1)quality of teaching/teachers
2)exposure to outpt msk/obtainability of msk-related fellowships
3)atmosphere - are the residents happy with their program and each other
4)reputation -- I know temple is far more reputed, but are jeff and penn "up and coming" as they say
5) well-roundedness of exposure/education - I want to learn as much as I can and as best as I can while I am a resident - also are these programs helpful/resourceful if a resident wants to learn alternative therapies such as acupuncture?

I"m sure other people are trying to figure out how to rank these 3 programs so it would be a great thing to discuss.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a pgy-3 at Jefferson Rehab:

Here is my two cents:

1. quality teaching, probably the best part of the program. here are some of the faculty:

At Jefferson, in PM&R: we work closely with Bryan Oneill, a tremendous bedside (stroke, sci, amputee) and outpt myofascial pain teacher (teaches at City wide emg course).

Gerald Herbison teaches anatomy (yearly lecture/worshop/focused cadaver dissection) and emg, tremendous teacher, regularly teaches at academy meetings (teaches at city wide EMG).

SCI is taught by Ralph Marino & Anthony Burns (dual certified in IM/Rehab with fellowship in SCI). Dr Marino was the chief editor of the last set of ASIA guidelines, editor of the blue journal (both a very active in research)...we still meet with Dr Ditunno (one of the sons of rehab, rusk & krusen being the daddies!) who is semiretired, wrote quite a bit of the SCI literature)

At Rothman (Jefferson Ortho), we work with Mitch Freedman, a fellowship trained Spine Physiatrist who does quite a bit of Epidurals and EMG. Recently we started working with various sports orthopedists (mostly eagles) and sports medicine docs.

At Jefferson Pain (Jeff ACGME-Anethesia) we work with Greg Pharo (anesthesia) and Dr Zhou (pm&r/orthopedics/fellowship trained spine), which is exclusively a pain clinic with interventional focus.

At Jeff Radiology, we work with Lev Nazarian who specializes in musculoskeletal ultrasound. We can also work with the MSK radiology attendings and fellows.

At Magee, we work with Guy Fried (teaches at city wide EMG course) and Chris Formal (program director), both spinal cord docs who have published. Guy is also does Brain Injury. We do stroke/transplant with Barb Browne (dual certified PM&R & Medicine). Outpt, you can work with William Staas who is another son of rehab.

At Dupont (Peds), we work with Alexander (havent done this rotation, lot of publications).

At Moss, we work with Sridahara for EMG (teaches at the city wide EMG course), Theera V for gait, orthotic, prosthetics (Jeff grad, teaches at the city wide Gait course), and Len Kamen (outpt msk, pain).

Most attendings, I talk to by there 1st name and are very approachable. Our program director Chris formal, used to be the program director, then stepped aside for several years has picked up the reigns is very approachable. If there are complaints, he has done away with rotations, or taken us away attendings who are not teaching oriented. The focus is teaching here. We are protected on Wednesdays from 7-1 for didactics and the rounds are conducted by the attendings, so when we return it is cleaning up loose ends or later admissions. Another example is consults, because our attending is focused on teaching, there is another attending who pics up the slack if the service is busy, so there is no stress on the resident to just churn out consults.

2. Jefferson's program has a longstanding repuation for inpt rehab. Our outpt experiences are the following: a. jeff outpt, mostly myofascial with inpt followup. b. magee outpt, inpt follow-up or MSK/Spine at Rothman. c. Rothman Institute - msk/interventional spine/sports. d. moss outpt - msk. d. Pain aneth - intervent spine.

last year the program sent 4 out 4 for fellowship, the other three residents - one went to university practice; two went private practice. In terms of fellowship: One to Sinia- Furman (acgme/pmr spine), one to Temple - Falco (acgme/pmr spine), one to graduate (acgme/aneth), and one to Floride Spine, Clearwater -Botwin.

3. The atmosphere is very laid back amongst the residents, with fairly regular social events. In lectures, we are encouraged to ask questions and participate in each others learning.

4. Reputation - I would disagree with your statement. Temple and Jeff are two of the older programs in the country with tremendous repuation. I would say that Jeff is stronger in SCI, and Temple stronger in TBI. At Jefferson Health System owns Jeff, Moss (TBI, Gait), and Magee (SCI, stroke) - so we do get exposure to all the facilities. One better than the other? Flip the coin, I will say that there are two very different atmospheres between the programs. I dont know much about UPenn, a program that went under in the 80's and "is the up & comer"

Well, that is a pretty detailed response, feel free to ask question here or by PM. I think you can tell from my tone, I am very happy here it was my first choice, with Temple #4 and Penn #5. If I did it again, I would rank it the same.

parmed said:
Hi!

I just wanted to start a thread comparing/discussing the philly programs: penn, jeff, temple. I went to them all and plan to rank them all, but since my interviews were a while ago, I thought it would be nice to refresh myself with other peoples' opinions. I'm especially concerned with the following characteristics:
1)quality of teaching/teachers
2)exposure to outpt msk/obtainability of msk-related fellowships
3)atmosphere - are the residents happy with their program and each other
4)reputation -- I know temple is far more reputed, but are jeff and penn "up and coming" as they say
5) well-roundedness of exposure/education - I want to learn as much as I can and as best as I can while I am a resident - also are these programs helpful/resourceful if a resident wants to learn alternative therapies such as acupuncture?

I"m sure other people are trying to figure out how to rank these 3 programs so it would be a great thing to discuss.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

Thanks!

would you mind elaborating on the following quote regarding temple vs jeff?:

"flip the coin, I will say that there are two very different atmospheres between the programs"

What would you say are the major differences regarding atmosphere?

Members don't see this ad :)
The emphasis is on resident education. At the same rate, Jefferson is laid back. For example, if you are late or miss grand rounds or the education lectures, no one is going to penalize you. If it is chronic the chief may mention to you. Vacation during rotations is expected, so no one will give you a hassle about asking for time off.

In outpt rotation like Magee, it is a buffet style, you choose what kinds of practices interest you and work with that attending.

On Inpt, no one expects you to preround. Some attendings will help with notes if they have time. Most attendings will split admissions with you so, if there are two, they will do one of them. Attendings will also help with dictations if you have a lot. There are never notes to write after education days. Post-call, we leave as soon as our rounding and notes are done...usually before noon.

Its a team sport at Jefferson and Magee. They are training a colleague, not training an subordinate. Really, we are spoiled a bit if you ask me.

I have not nearly the exposure at Temple or Penn, but I dont see nor sense a similar atmospher.

Taus said:

"flip the coin, I will say that there are two very different atmospheres between the programs"

The emphasis is on resident education. At the same rate, Jefferson is laid back. For example, if you are late or miss grand rounds or the education lectures, no one is going to penalize you. If it is chronic the chief may mention to you. Vacation during rotations is expected, so no one will give you a hassle about asking for time off.

In outpt rotation like Magee, it is a buffet style, you choose what kinds of practices interest you and work with that attending.

On Inpt, no one expects you to preround. Some attendings will help with notes if they have time. Most attendings will split admissions with you so, if there are two, they will do one of them. Attendings will also help with dictations if you have a lot. There are never notes to write after education days. Post-call, we leave as soon as our rounding and notes are done...usually before noon.

Its a team sport at Jefferson and Magee. They are training a colleague, not training an subordinate. Really, we are spoiled a bit if you ask me.

I have not nearly the exposure at Temple or Penn, but I dont see nor sense a similar atmosphere.

Taus said:

Bryan O'Neill is leaving Jeff for private practice.
BTW, how many of the Jeff PM&R faculty are women?

njdevil said:
I am a pgy-3 at Jefferson Rehab:
At Jefferson, in PM&R: we work closely with Bryan Oneill, a tremendous bedside (stroke, sci, amputee) and outpt myofascial pain teacher (teaches at City wide emg course).