• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

heychief

10+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
what are peoples thoughts on the philly programs...Jeff, Temple, Penn?

CariBeaner

10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I interviewed at Drexel. The program director is a riot. I didnt end up ranking the program but I still want him to be my best friend.

lushmd

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
FWIW, I am an MS3 at Temple and did my Psychiatry rotation at Epicopal Hospital, in one of the inpatient units. I really enjoyed it. The people (residents, faculty, and staff) were all very nice and supportive. There was a fairly nice mix of pathology (perhaps weak in child, but I think that the residents go to an alternate location for child rotations). In closing, please realize that I am likely not the best source of info as I am not considering psych as a career.

PS The chair at Temple is also very entertaining/amusing...

About the Ads

RollinRollin

Sep 16, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi, thought I would post on this thread instead of starting a new one. I was wondering if anyone (students, residents, or anyone that has recently interviewed at Drexel) had any info on the psych residency there. The website is pretty scarce and there is no information on the site about any current residents, so I have no clue where to obtain more info from. Thanks in advance.

st2205

Attending
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I've seen him speak. He's a leading authority in the area of sports psychiatry.

Outside of Ron Artest, Jose Canseco, Darryl Strawberry, Shawn Kemp, the Portland Trailblazers circa 1996-1999, and others, what exactly is sports psychiatry? I can't imagine psychiatry being very applicable in sports in anyway that would differentiate it much from sports psychology. Perhaps this is just because of how small the field is that there's so little known about it. If anyone in the know has the info I'd be curious to hear.

Manicsleep

5+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Outside of Ron Artest, Jose Canseco, Darryl Strawberry, Shawn Kemp, the Portland Trailblazers circa 1996-1999, and others, what exactly is sports psychiatry? I can't imagine psychiatry being very applicable in sports in anyway that would differentiate it much from sports psychology. Perhaps this is just because of how small the field is that there's so little known about it. If anyone in the know has the info I'd be curious to hear.

I don't know if I would call it an entire field. It's a small field.
I did a little with Div I. athletes and still actively promote the "other side of the coin."

The focus is really on mood, anxiety, addiction as well as how external pressures have shaped these people and continue to push them in sometimes unhealthy ways. You always have to consider steroids and other PEDs, sometimes unhealthy diets that are focused on simplistic goals. There is a thought that athletes are, for example, sublimating. Are there pre-disposing conditions to be considered?

The other side of the coin is trying to incorporate sports/exercise into psychiatry in an effort to create health and improve mood.

I don't really do this anymore and never did it 100% so thats my best answer. I think Baron and guys like him may be more invested in making this a bigger field and I am not totally against it. It really helped me fine tune my understanding of motivation (I was not a motivational coach or anything, I treated illness period...not that there is anything wrong with motivational coaching).

gman33

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Baron is no longer at Temple.

Can anyone provide any input on the original question about the Philly programs?

Thanks.

masterofmonkeys

Angy Old Man
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Sports Psych is a pretty small field and I gather there aren't exactly a ton of people out there who actually do this full or even as a significant part of their time. As a PGY-2 headed down that road--more or less--what that means as far as I'm concerned is that its wide open.

Personally, I am trying to take my exercise physiology avocation and turning it into targeted trials of exercise therapy in a way that is actually scientifically informed rather than the garbage that all of medicine (from IM to psych) calls 'exercise' trials (I'd blow my own brains out if I ever gave a client such a poorly informed intervention as what I commonly see in the research lit. On a positive note MA Singh who studies resistance exercise in the gero population for everything from psych to endo, does a great job at actually bridging the gap between EP and medicine). Exercise physiology is intimately concerned with things like sympathetic/parasympathetic tone, GH, cortisol, T, Estrogen, inflammation, etc. All things of interest to the PNE/PNI crowd.

The other side for me is a strong interest in the positive psychology (a la Martin Seligman) of athletics and the athlete's mind, and how to apply it to the chronic pain/disability population, especially the pediatric/adolescent crowd.

I'm not sure whether or not I want to work with actual athletes, but if I did I'd probably stay the hell away from NFL/NBA/MLB.

Overall I'd say the difference between a sport psychiatrist and a sport psychologist is that the former is a physician and therefore has a degree of clinical knowledge and understanding of the somatic side of the equation that the latter lacks. Not that too many physicians udnerstand EP to any significant degree anyway.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/19/health/nutrition/19best.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general

whopper

Former jolly good fellow
15+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Sports psychiatry definitely is a small field and it appears to be largely fueled more by psychiatrists with a strong interest in sports who have not done much research or had extensive experience with athletes.

Barron was an exception. While he was very passionate about sports, he had a lot of experience and had data mined several sources in his presentations. He also served as an official for the Olympic committee and had done some work in testing Olympic athletes on some psychological characteristics.

Is sports psychiatry very different than sports psychology? I don't know much of any difference though I am also not an insider in that field. I'd be welcome to hear more and and open to being corrected.

I can tell you from experience that dealing with professional athletes does certainly put a different spin in clinical practice. I've done some work with professional athletes (NBA and Olympic). There are plenty of things going on in their lives that aren't going on in the lives of most people we'd see in clinical practice.

RollinRollin

Sep 16, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi, thought I would post on this thread instead of starting a new one. I was wondering if anyone (students, residents, or anyone that has recently interviewed at Drexel) had any info on the psych residency there. The website is pretty scarce and there is no information on the site about any current residents, so I have no clue where to obtain more info from. Thanks in advance.

so no one has any information on Drexel? :(

Sharpie1

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
You're probably better off starting a new thread at this point. People read back to the old threads and comment on previous comments (sports psych) and ignore your question. Just start fresh

About the Ads
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.