Philly schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vanish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what kind of GPA and GRE score I would need for Philly schools such as Jefferson or temple?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to Jefferson and am still waiting to hear back. I didn't apply to Temple because while the campus area is safe once you step off campus it isn't such a friendly area.

Did you look into University of the Sciences? Its another Philly school, has a new 4 year entry level doctorate program. They were pretty quick with admissions- I already heard back and got accepted!

I hate sushi!

Temple Health Science campus area is pretty rough. I wonder how much rent would be here tho...like $250 maybe.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to Jefferson and am still waiting to hear back. I didn't apply to Temple because while the campus area is safe once you step off campus it isn't such a friendly area.

Did you look into University of the Sciences? Its another Philly school, has a new 4 year entry level doctorate program. They were pretty quick with admissions- I already heard back and got accepted!

Thanks for the reply! If you don't mind me asking what is your gpa and pre-req gpa? Mine is 3.2 for total gpa, and a 3.5 pre-req gpa (for jefferson) and a 3.6 pre-req gpa (for university of the sciences). Will that be ok? I haven't been able to find anything on what the average GPA is for these schools. =/

yea, our gpa's are pretty similar. i also had 60 hours of shadowing with an OT. i haven't heard anything back from jefferson though, besides the occasional email saying they are still sorting through paperwork. I am getting a little anxious!

Last edited:

Hey Ilovesushi how long was the turnover for USP. I applied too but the application wasn't considered complete until mid December. I'm getting pretty nervous because I'm considering them as a back up. I'm applying to around 13 schools but I'm hearing most schools are already waitlisting students. eeeek.

my application was completed early November and i heard back the second week of december, so like a month. yep, they are my backup but they are the only ones i have heard back from so far. its a great school, i'm just nervous about the whole accreditation in progress thing. their masters program is fully accredited, but the doctorate program is in progress for accreditation since it it brand new, so i am not sure how that works.

also, i heard back from Jefferson last week. they sent me their supplemental application via an email. hoping this means they are getting closer to decisions!

Thanks for the response! I wasn't aware that the doctorate program wasn't accredited yet. Where else did you apply? I'm hoping to hear back from some schools in MA soon too. Congrats on getting in!

thanks! i am relieved to have good news back from one school so far! i applied to 5 schools so far and only heard back from 2- got into usciences but was rejected at suny downstate. I am still waiting to here back from university of toledo, ohio state, and jefferson. what schools in MA?

I'm sorry to hear about downstate but I'm glad you got into USP, I'm still waiting. I actually applied to three schools in MA: Bay Path, American International College, and Springfield College. I'm going crazy this week just to hear back from ANY school. This is my second year applying. One school, Midwestern in IL, told me that they have received 330 applications so far for 30 spots and more applications are still coming in. They have yet to review mine and basically said I should re-apply in September.... gahhhh. GOOD LUCK!

I heard back from Usciences yesterday, I got admitted into the Dr.OT program. lovesushi, have you seen the campus or area?

Congrats 0T920!

I visited the campus in November and it's fairly small. The gym is brand new and is a great facility but the campus is small but definitely expanding. I went to UCLA for undergrad and I'm used to walking a far distance in between classes. If classes are spread throughout campus I'm sure it would only take you 5-10 minutes tops to get there.

When did you complete your application? and what were your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
the campus is relatively small, especially if you are comparing it to UCLA. I would say 10 minutes tops, but probably only 5. It's a nice area, way nicer than temple. While the campus is smaller it is close to other larger schools (drexel, upenn) so the area has a nice college atmosphere.

congrats on your acceptance OT920!

Just a word to the wise that I'm not sure that a person necessarily needs a doctorate in OT in order to get a job unless wanting to perform research or teach at the university level. A physical therapist told me that for the PT field when I was a patient, and it may be the same with OT. It just sounds like tuition rates for a doctorate program would be a lot more money than grad school.

Just a word to the wise that I'm not sure that a person necessarily needs a doctorate in OT in order to get a job unless wanting to perform research or teach at the university level. A physical therapist told me that for the PT field when I was a patient, and it may be the same with OT. It just sounds like tuition rates for a doctorate program would be a lot more money than grad school.

graduate school is graduate school- whether it be a masters or a doctorate program- tuition is actually the same for their masters and doctorate program, you just have to pay for the additional year it takes to get the doctorate compared to the masters.

Also, do you realize that all physical therapists now need a doctorate to practice? who is to say that the OT field won't move in the same direction within the next few years?

The OT doctorate can be a specialization in teaching or within the community. If you want to work with a specific sub population such as pediatrics or geriatrics why wouldn't you get a doctorate degree to specialize within that field and thus have an edge when applying for specific jobs?

While a person does not NEED a doctorate degree it will not hurt them in the long run, and will most likely be beneficial to their career and job search after graduation.

Thank you!:) I am relieved I finally got accepted into a school, I got an acceptance email from UNE the next day, but i think Portland is too cold for me...

I turned in my application late November, but it wasn't officially completed until early January (they didn't receive my postbach pre-professional form). My overall GPA is a 3.38 and pre-req for this program is a 3.5 I believe.

Im waiting to hear back from Jefferson, has anyone applied to Stockton? Im curious if they have started making admission decisions. And has anyone heard an admission decision from Jefferson?

I applied to Stockton... my status on their website just says that my application is complete and ready for review

I just had my Temple interview today. It went really well and Dr. North said he would recommend me for admission. Got an acceptance to Jefferson a couple weeks ago.

Jefferson is in a better part of the city and is ranked higher than Temple in U.S. News & World Report. But... It supposedly doesn't have a required cadaver lab and Temple does. I am so surprised by this. I was all set to go to Jeff and then I heard that. :-/

I also got into USC, still waiting to hear from Columbia, NYU and BU. I qualified for aid from USC, which is cool, but its still so expensive. I will probably end up in Philly. Just unsure of where to go...

I am quite sure Jefferson has a cadaver lab as well as Temple. I just went to my Temple interview this past week, and then did a visit of Jefferson. A current student said they look at dissected brains (the brain is pre-dissected though because it's delicate) and I believe they also get pre-dissected cadavers.

During my interview at Temple, the interviewer told me that Philly is a "hot spot" for hand therapy. Does anyone know if this is true?

I'm still waiting on my Jefferson status. My only concern is that the class there is 70 students. 30 or them are BS/MS students right out of high school. The rest are entry level MS students, but all the lectures and many of the classes are combined. There are only a few separate "graduate level" courses and then some of the classes are pared down in size. I know they have a great reputation, but just curious if that sounds annoying to anyone else? Other than campus location, the cadaver issue and the ranking (which is really kinda irrelevant for OT schools) - are there any stark contrasts between Jefferson's and Temple's programs?

OmShanti, how was Dr. North at Temple? I have an interview with him next week

I was accepted to Jefferson's EMOT program in the middle of January. They have rolling admissions though, so I'm sure they're still sending out acceptances.

Jefferson is indeed still sending out acceptances. I just got mine today. I'm surprised, too, because they still haven't even sent me the supplemental application.

Last edited:
tastybeverage, When did you send in your OTCAS application? I also haven't received the supplemental, I spoke with a person from admissions last month and they said they've been having a lot of problems so they decided to review application even without receiving the supplemental. congrats!!

tastybeverage, When did you send in your OTCAS application? I also haven't received the supplemental, I spoke with a person from admissions last month and they said they've been having a lot of problems so they decided to review application even without receiving the supplemental. congrats!!

My app was finished (with everything processed) about 4-5 weeks ago, mid-January.

I wonder if they're having problems with OTCAS? I was surprised by how many headaches that service gave me. It could use improvement, IMO.

The subject line on the Jefferson acceptance email was just "Congratulations!", and it came from a name I didn't recognize. Fortunately, I did a double take before disregarding it as spam. :)

I was just wondering what questions Jefferson asked at the interview, I have one next week!

I was just wondering what questions Jefferson asked at the interview, I have one next week!

BigMeech, I got accepted without an interview. Which is good, because if the admissions people had met me, they would have learned that I am secretly a squid monster.

Are you interviewing as part of the OT info session? I know there were no more spots left when I got the automatic email about it.

I got into University of the Sciences, too, but the more I think over all my potential options, the more I think I'll probably be going to Jefferson.

I hope your interview there goes well. :)

Yea im pretty nervous and Jeffersons my top choice. I wonder how many people they interview and accept.

for the people who got into temple....did you get the acceptance letter from the school of health professionals and social work asking for a deposit to reserve your seat?

I only got the letter from the graduate school so far and am still waiting for that letter and I am getting worried and impatient. I got into a few other schools who ask for a deposit right away, which I didn't send since Temple was my top choice.

Please share!!! :rolleyes:

for the people who got into temple....did you get the acceptance letter from the school of health professionals and social work asking for a deposit to reserve your seat?

I only got the letter from the graduate school so far and am still waiting for that letter and I am getting worried and impatient. I got into a few other schools who ask for a deposit right away, which I didn't send since Temple was my top choice.

Please share!!! :rolleyes:

I am in the same position! I have only received the one acceptance letter so far. I just want to place my deposit to save my spot! but its good to know someone else hasn't received it yet either. When was your interview?

Lynn115, thanks so much for responding! I feel so much better that I'm not alone. My interview was on 2/24 and I got an email saying I got accepted on 3/16 and the first letter from the main grad school exactly a week later.....but still no letter from the health and social work school to reserve a seat with a deposit.

How about you? When did you have your interview, get accepted and receive your first letter.

Again, thank you for responding. I was so worried!!!

Wait!!! I made a mistake I got the email on 3/3 and my first letter a week later. Sorry. How about you? :)

Hey
I received two letters from temple and an email from Matt

I was accepted to NYU & waitlisted at Columbia, but might consider Temple if accepted (due to expense). I haven't heard anything back yet, so I'm sort of getting a little worried... Does anyone know if there's a date set as to when all applicants should have received their decision? ---Thanks in advance!

I was too late to get my applications completed. What is the earliest I can start applying for Jefferson, Temple, University of the Sciences for fall 2012? Also, has anyone heard anything about Alvernia before?