philly to DC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anystream

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for travel advice. I have an interview in Philadelphia, and then I need to travel to Washington, DC...

Members don't see this ad.

i don't understand... what is your problem?? you haven't stated it...

anystream said:
I'm looking for travel advice. I have an interview in Philadelphia, and then I need to travel to Washington, DC...

There's a Chinatown bus that's cheap. Amtrak is more expensive, but fast and comfortable.

--Ari

Members don't see this ad :)
linuxizer said:
There's a Chinatown bus that's cheap. Amtrak is more expensive, but fast and comfortable.

--Ari

I've ridden the china town buses many times from DC to NYC. The china town buses are cheap and convenient at times, but make sure you reserve your ticket online (ivymedia.com) and that you get there at least half an hour beforehand to avoid losing your seat (i've seen it happen). best of luck

DC and Philly are basically connected via I-95. I've done the drive in 90 minutes before, but with traffic and less ridiculous driving habits, yous hould count on 2.5 to 3 hours.

Ok, to clarify my situation: I am from CA, not sure if I can rent a car (I am only 22) and I am trying to find a way to get to DC for a conference after interviewing at a school in Philadelphia.

which is better, amtrak or the chinatown bus?

anystream said:
which is better, amtrak or the chinatown bus?

Better, cheaper? or better, faster/more comfortable?

The chinatown bus is fine, but still relies on the interstate with the potential for traffic jams and such. Furthermore, if you don't get to the bus 30 mins early, you're not guaranteed a seat. If you're worried, then it's probably worth spending the $108 that roundtrip tickets seem to cost for the train vs. like $20 for the bus.

--Ari